help!!

alyssa411

Hatching
7 Years
May 27, 2012
i have a hen that has been attacked by our rooster. he not only took all the feathers off the back of her head but also all the skin to were you can see her skull and neck bone very clearly. how do i take care of this?

Last edited:
You need to separate her IMMEDIATELY. If I were you I'd get rid of the rooster, unless you just introduced them recently (if they were newly introduced, the behavior's not uncommon). I have no advice for the injury except to separate the hen in a warm, dry, dark place with plenty of food and water, and to apply neosporin (non-medicated) to the wound every day. Chickens are amazing healers on their own. Good luck.

I had something similar happen to two hens of mine some time ago:

I treated mine by flushing it once with sterile saline solution (like for use with eye contacts) to get debris out of it, and keeping them on some minor antibiotics in their water to help fend off infection. Then I kept her isolated indoors from other chickens, with a heat lamp available if she wanted it. And let her heal.

If you have some pictures, some people who are more knowledageable than me may be able to offer advice that's a whole lot better.

Last edited:
thanks i will try that and i have taken her away from the rest and she has always been with that rooster. he has pulled her feathers out before and we removed her and let her grow her feathers back and when we put her back this happened. and i added a picture so if any one else has anymore advise i would greatly appreciate it

thanks i will try that and i have taken her away from the rest and she has always been with that rooster. he has pulled her feathers out before and we removed her and let her grow her feathers back and when we put her back this happened. and i added a picture so if any one else has anymore advise i would greatly appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom