Help!

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
My sweet boy I noticed ate a ton today! He's my first duck and he just got his curly feathers in. xD I don't know whether this is serious or not. It could be normal, hopefully!! His crop looks HUGE and when he was swimming his crop kinda sunk. It looked pretty funny but I'm worried!! He's making a strange quack that sounds like a pigs oink..He's being very quiet (as usual because he's a Cayuga) and sleeping a lot. I noticed hes sleeping with his head on top of his crop and not on his back like he always does. This just happened today about 4 hours ago. He seems fine..But like I said, he's my first duck so I'm a nooooob!! Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!! :)

Sounds like someone has puppy belly. He's just hitting maturity, so maybe some hormonal urge to stock up on calories hit him.

After a big feed, sometimes my ducks will loll around and kind of moan, which could sound a little like a grunt, I guess. First time I heard it, I was alarmed! Then I watched, and listened for a while, and it just looked like they were feeling the consequences of gluttony.
wink.png

While in extreme cases there can be some stretching of the tissues that can cause inflammation, most of the cases I am aware of lead to nothing but some napping and mumbling, and looking, as one forum member recently put it, "freakish."

Please let us know how it looks today! I am in the Eastern time zone, U.S., so I am not sure what time it is where you are . . .

Sounds like someone has puppy belly. He's just hitting maturity, so maybe some hormonal urge to stock up on calories hit him.

After a big feed, sometimes my ducks will loll around and kind of moan, which could sound a little like a grunt, I guess. First time I heard it, I was alarmed! Then I watched, and listened for a while, and it just looked like they were feeling the consequences of gluttony.
wink.png

While in extreme cases there can be some stretching of the tissues that can cause inflammation, most of the cases I am aware of lead to nothing but some napping and mumbling, and looking, as one forum member recently put it, "freakish."

Please let us know how it looks today! I am in the Eastern time zone, U.S., so I am not sure what time it is where you are . . .
I went to go check on him this morning and it seems to have gotten smaller and hes not (lol) oinking anymore. It looks like he'll be fine, but I'll still keep an eye on him! Glad he's okay!! Thanks so much! :)

Yeah, he's really pretty. I mean, not pretty because he's a duck and he's mine. But pretty as in, I think he's a boy pretty. And now I've noticed curling feathers at the tail. LOL I kinda wanted a duck, but it's okay. He is a fun duck.

Back
Top Bottom