help!!

franzman12

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
Napoleon, Ohio
One of my 26 chicks cannot walk. They were all doing fine, and yesterday I check them and the one chick could only use one leg. Today I go out there its still alive but it cannot stand up on either leg? What should I do?

I'm a new chick parent as well, but from everything I've read on here it sounds like it could be Marecks(sp?) disease. If that's what it is, it's a neurological disorder, and I don't believe there's a cure for it. Hopefully one of the more experienced chicken guru's on here will reply to your post.
Keeping my fingers crossed that your baby pulls through.

How old are your chicks? Are they in a brooder or outside? Have they been vaccinated for Mareks or anything else? Is your sick chick showing any other signs of illness? There are some BYC members who are very experienced with Mareks, but from what I've read, it doesn't normally show up in a chick until they are 8-10 weeks old. I don't think it shows up at all in chicks under 3 weeks, but don't quote me on that. Have you recently put your chicks outside? Do you think it could be coccidiosis?

Chicks are susceptible to a number of illnesses, and there are vitamin deficiencies that can cause the leg paralysis. I'm not much help because I'm dealing with this issue right now with one of my 3 week old chicks. My chick stopped eating and drinking entirely, and she had very labored breathing for a day or so. I gave her a drop of Poly-Vi-Sol (without iron) twice a day in case it's a vitamin deficiency, and I tried to give her a few drops of watered down hb egg yolk several times a day. She was like that for two days, then day three she perked up a little bit and will drink if I hold her to the water dish, and she started eating. She's still very weak and can't stand, sort of flops around, but I'm hoping she will get stronger as she continues to eat.

Sorry I'm not more help, but if your chick is getting picked on or not eating, I'd separate her, give her Poly-Vi-Sol or electrolytes in her water, and just watch her for a few days. If you think it might be coccidiosis, I'd treat your entire flock with Corid. If you think it's Mareks, there are other BYC members who will be much more help than me, but I hope it's not Mareks. Good luck.

My chick are ten days, in a large brooder never been outside, have been vaccinated, and no other weaknesses. I noticed today it was getting better today already, but I've been keeping an eye on her

I was hoping someone with more experience would respond to your thread, for both our sakes. I'm glad your chick is doing better. I've found so many posts on BYC about chicks that have partial paralysis or are so weak that they can't stand up, and it seems that they either get better right away like your chick or they die within a day or two. My chick is now in day six of her illness and I'm wondering if I should cull her. She's not acting sick but is still very off balance and too weak to stand or walk very well. She drinks a lot but isn't eating much. I mash up egg and mix it her food which she'll seem very interested in, but only take a bite or two before falling asleep. Her stool at first was bright green, which I read means that she wasn't eating. She's not eating much now but enough that her stools are normal green color. As long as she's showing some signs of life I don't feel right culling her, but hope that I'm not dragging this out where she's wasting away and starving to death.

Good luck with your chick.

Back
Top Bottom