HELP!!!!

BamaFarmin

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
I went to change out the ducks pond today and it looks like little larva or maggots are in it! I have two Peking ducks. One male one female. They are aproximately 7 months old. The female just started laying about 3 weeks ago. I'm new to all this. Learning as I go. Is this a coincidence since she started laying. And I should add that she has laid a couple eggs in the pond. But consistently getting better at laying in the next. How do I prevent this? Treat this? Are the ducks at risk? Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Are they red maggiots... or what... many insects would lay their eggs in ponds and in still waters... so it may not be a risk.... if you can post pics it would be great.... maybe they are mosquito larvae or other insects or aquatic life...

I went to change out the ducks pond today and it looks like little larva or maggots are in it! I have two Peking ducks. One male one female. They are aproximately 7 months old. The female just started laying about 3 weeks ago. I'm new to all this. Learning as I go. Is this a coincidence since she started laying. And I should add that she has laid a couple eggs in the pond. But consistently getting better at laying in the next. How do I prevent this? Treat this? Are the ducks at risk? Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at this article and photo. http://www.raingarden.us/bloodworms.htm

I am guessing they could be bloodworms (I think due to their red color). Can you describe the larvae? I could be way off since I don't think you said they were red.

I would change the water in the pond as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't even think to describe them. Small... Maybe 1/4 an inch and white. I didn't see them in the water til I dumped the pond out. I cleaned it 2-3x a week. Never had this happen before. I'll try to post a pic this evening. At work now.

Gotcha. Fly larvae can hatch really quickly. Once I noticed larvae in a container. Could not figure it out. Then I looked up. The upstairs neighbor's garbage had flies lay eggs in it, and the larvae hatched and fell out into the container below. shudder.
sickbyc.gif

Hahahaha... yeah so nothing to worry about.... if you don't pike them in your water change more frequently.

Sorry it's taken a while to post back. Investigated some more last night. This is what they look like. Best I can tell. They are not in the pond. They are on the ground in the poop and food droppings. I just the movement because of the dumped out water. So I think I have a drainage problem. Not an invested water problem. They are a browner color than the white I thought. So it's still ok right. These can't harm the ducks?!

Amiga and Majd. Thank y'all both for for your help. ;-))

probably will not hurt you ducks, as long as conditions remain aerobic. If condition become anaerobic, botulism may develop, and they will concentrate the toxin.

Clint

See if you can look up black soldier fly larvae and tell me if you think that is a match. On the chance that is what you have, then you have a potentially good thing.

Here is an example link.

http://blacksoldierflyblog.com

I suspect if you have quite a bit of food droppings, the black soldier flies are laying their eggs in that.

I agree with Clint, anaerobic conditions are associated with botulism (and stinkies).

Thx Speceider! And Amiga.... BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!! Dead on. That is exactly how they look. And I have seen adults flying. I thought they were some type of bee. The ducks pen is almost 3 FT off the ground. Part is solid flooring right off the house and the rest around the pond is hardware cloth so droppings and feed can drop thru. So these critters are on the ground 3 FT below the ducks. All open aired so I haven't smelt anything. So despite their extreme Gross Factor! Lol. There is no problem?!

Back
Top Bottom