help

christakay

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Webster wi
my puppy got my silkie chicken and put a hole in his back and all the back feather's are gone whats the best way to care for him iv got him in a cage and in a dark room and disinfected it HELP !!

my puppy got my silkie chicken and put a hole in his back and all the back feather's are gone whats the best way to care for him iv got him in a cage and in a dark room and disinfected it HELP !!
I'm assuming you have stopped any bleeding and applied disinfectant. You could try applying an antibiotic cream. As long as you keep it from infection it should heal okay. Are you fairly certain there was no internal injury? My rooster injured his beak pretty bad and it bled all over the place. I just knew he was a gonner, but hes healed up nicely and Im not certain but it looks to be growing back. As long as there are no internal injuries and you keep it clean and dry it should heal okay.

I would clean the wounds with weak betadine or hibiclens, or soap and water if that's all you have. Dry wounds and apply Neosporin ointment with no pain killer. Look for any puncture wounds or deep wounds.  Reapply neosproin daily, and watch for signs of infection around 2 or 3 days--bad odor, pus drainage, or very inflammed or off color skin. Offer extra protein with diet. Antibiotics can be used if wounds are very deep, but probably noy necessary unless serious.

Back
Top Bottom