Help

cyndiscof

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 6, 2013
My turkey lays a lot of eggs. I've read they don't, but she does. The problem is I noticed it looks like her egg vent (or something down there) is a bloody mess. Too many eggs? Too big eggs? Is this common? Poor Turkey. :(

Getting photos may help.

How is she behaving? Is she lying down, squatting, tilting her body, panting, acting normal or not?

One of my turkey hens always wanted to fight the roosters during her laying periods, and every single egg she lay looked normal until you shone a torch through it, which revealed each egg had at least four separate star fracture impact damage points. They were fine enough to lay, but when she tried to brood them all broke. This happened for a few laying seasons, or more to the point a very prolonged one since when she couldn't brood she merely started laying again... Anyway my point is if she's been kicked hard or attacked or even had the male try to mount her as she lays an egg, or tries to brood, or if she's fallen or landed wrong or whatever, you could be seeing a smashed egg's results. Which are often fatal, especially if you're seeing blood.

A bit more info would help us tell what's what. Best wishes.

I only have one turkey. She acts normal, wants to eat and wants to get out of the cage I put her in. The chickens want to pick at her butt. I squirted betadine solution on it, she didn't like that. Then I man handled her into the cage. It was dark but she layed another egg yesterday. It looks a little better after keeping the chickens away from her, but still something wrong down there. My husband's going to help me make a separate pen for her today so the chickens won't bother her.
Taking a picture won't be easy cause she doesn't want me to look! But I'll try today. She doesn't get rough treatment from any animal or person except the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom