Help!!

606bride

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 17, 2014
Good morning! My name is Dani. I've only had chickens for two months. I'm so new to this, it's a bit overwhelming. Today I'm so worried about my chickens! Two days ago one of my four (3 hens, 1 roo) chickens came up missing. I came home to find my fence pulled open and my chickens were roaming around the yard, minus one. I did find a lot of feathers under a bush. I'm pretty sure my neighbor's dog got her. Well, my concern is that the rest of them are traumatized. Or maybe they're hurt, I can't tell. They seemed more skittish than usual. This morning I went out the find tons of feathers everywhere and the water bowl had a lot of droppings in it and a lot feathers in it too. They were all soaked. I'm just wondering if I should be worried about them. Their behavior seems odd. Thoughts??

Last edited:
I am very sorry about your loss it as happened to us be for and your remaining chicken are acting perfectly normal ,if they don't stop weirdly skittish then you might have A problem
D.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about the attack and losses.
hugs.gif
Yes, chickens will get very traumatized and can cause them all kinds of mental issues for quite sometime. So don't pressure them to go outside, pick them up much and try to keep all stresses down in the coop. Put a ticking clock in the coop.This will help to relax them. Even some very quiet music on during the day. I have had great luck with both of these, especially the ticking clock at night. Lets them sleep better. It is like white noise that calms them down.

Your rooster to hen ratio is way off. You should keep 1 roo to 8 to 10 hens. I don't know if this is going to cause more trouble than it has in the past, but it might now that they are all stressed from this attack. So watch what goes on. Make sure they all get up on the roost bar at night, nobody is being a bully and that you have at least 5 square feet per bird in your coop at all times.

Get your run or fenced off area fixed up too. Don't expect eggs for some time either. Attacks on them can really cause big stress on the birds for weeks, even months.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Hi :welcome

Glad you joined the flock just sorry it's not under better circumstances. Sorry to hear about your attack and loss :hugs

Great advice from TwoCrows hope this works for you and your birds are back to full normality soon. Be sure to ask any other questions you may have everyone here to help :frow

[COLOR=333333]Hello there and welcome to BYC! [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]:frow [/COLOR]

So sorry about the attack and losses. :hugs  Yes, chickens will get very traumatized and can cause them all kinds of mental issues for quite sometime. So don't pressure them to go outside, pick them up much and try to keep all stresses down in the coop. Put a ticking clock in the coop.This will help to relax them. Even some very quiet music on during the day. I have had great luck with both of these, especially the ticking clock at night. Lets them sleep better. It is like white noise that calms them down.

Your rooster to hen ratio is way off. You should keep 1 roo to 8 to 10 hens. I don't know if this is going to cause more trouble than it has in the past, but it might now that they are all stressed from this attack. So watch what goes on. Make sure they all get up on the roost bar at night, nobody is being a bully and that you have at least 5 square feet per bird in your coop at all times.

Get your run or fenced off area fixed up too. Don't expect eggs for some time either. Attacks on them can really cause big stress on the birds for weeks, even months.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

If only I could figure out how to use this page!

Thanks for the advice. I know I need more hens, but I wanted to start out small. How long should I wait now until I get a few new hens?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Love your avatar!!

Two Crows has given you good advice. So sorry for your losses!

If you keep more roosters then you are supposed to then your hens will be stressed and will get too much attention. Plus the roosters will fight. So only keep 1 rooster for every 10 hens you keep. Watch their behaviors closely and watch out for bullying and pecking.

As for calming them down from the attack, cuddle them, feed them treats, make sure they are in a safe coop with clean bedding. Also, herbs will calm them down too. Lavender, thyme, yarrow, mint, catnip and sage are all very relaxing, soothing and calming. They will work wonders on your stressed flock. Hang bouquets in the coop, sprinkle the leaves in the coop bedding, lay them in the nests or rub them into their feathers. So try these herbs and make your hens feel loved. They'll calm down soon.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom