Help!!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your losses. TwoCrows has given you some good advice. There is a nice article in the Learning Center on adding to your flock. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock If you are starting with adult birds, usually you want to keep the new and old birds separated for awhile to get them used to each other, so It will take a while to integrate the flock, usually at least a month, and longer if you have to do a health quarantine. As soon as you can get the coop/run reinforced, and have a place to keep the newbies, no reason not to get new birds.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Love your avatar!!

Two Crows has given you good advice. So sorry for your losses!

If you keep more roosters then you are supposed to then your hens will be stressed and will get too much attention. Plus the roosters will fight. So only keep 1 rooster for every 10 hens you keep. Watch their behaviors closely and watch out for bullying and pecking.

As for calming them down from the attack, cuddle them, feed them treats, make sure they are in a safe coop with clean bedding. Also, herbs will calm them down too. Lavender, thyme, yarrow, mint, catnip and sage are all very relaxing, soothing and calming. They will work wonders on your stressed flock. Hang bouquets in the coop, sprinkle the leaves in the coop bedding, lay them in the nests or rub them into their feathers. So try these herbs and make your hens feel loved. They'll calm down soon.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the rooster terrorizing the two remaining hens. Like I said, I'm very new! So, is my best bet to separate my roo? I really don't have an easy place to separate him to right now. If it takes up to month to introduce new hens,

Thanks for the tips. Yes, I'm pretty sure it's the rooster terrorizing the two remaining hens. Like I said, I'm very new! So, is my best bet to separate my roo? I really don't have an easy place to separate him to right now. If it takes up to month to introduce new hens,
Yes I would separate him if at all possible.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member!

Sorry for your loss...
hit.gif

Good luck with the rest of your flock... I wish I could help more.

~Jenace

Do you really need the rooster, apparently he didn't try to protect the girls from attackers. If you need one for fertile eggs maybe you could get a new one when you get more girls - then they would know each other from the start.

Meanwhile please read up on the predator section - how to keep them out. If you wire is chicken w ire, that is very flimsy and only keep chickens inside, doesn't keep predators out. 1/2" hardware cloth securely affixed to posts or fencing will help prevent animals from pulling the wire aside and getting in.

Sorry for you loss. If you are in an area where you can deal with predators attacking your flock, you should DO SO to the fullest extent of the law.

Do you really need the rooster, apparently he didn't try to protect the girls from attackers.    If you need one for fertile eggs maybe you could get a new one when you get more girls - then they would know each other from the start.

Meanwhile please read up on the predator section - how to keep them out.  If you wire is chicken w ire, that is very flimsy and only keep chickens inside, doesn't keep predators out.   1/2" hardware cloth  securely affixed to  posts or fencing will help prevent animals from pulling the wire aside and getting in.

Sorry for you loss.  If you are in  an area where you can deal with predators attacking your flock,  you should DO SO to the fullest extent of the law.

Well, I got the rooster first, long story, then I thought I'd get him some company. I had no idea what I was doing. Still don't. I'm learning thanks to this page and everyone's advice.
I think I've got the fence issue taken care of. I hope!!

Remember, Predators can dig under fenses. so prepare for that by digging down about 8-10 inches and ad to it. also keep an eye out for chicken hawks.

Back
Top Bottom