Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PattiS72, Feb 26, 2015.

1. PattiS72

PattiS72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Old Town, FL
    OKay, I've asked before (not sure if it was on this forum). I want to hatch eggs. I am in north central FL. My hens are 2 EEs for sure and 5 I'm not sure of. I got them last year during the Chick Days at a local farm supply store. They are pretty regular with laying. I'm not sure if they are ready to sit on eggs now. But I want to try. I was thinking of trying to incubate them, but I don't have an incubator at the moment. Yesterday I left 6 eggs out in the nest boxes. I numbered them and left them in the boxes they were laid. Should I bring them in the house? Can I just use a shipping box to put them in? How should I go about this? I tried leaving eggs in the boxes a week or two ago...but on day 7 I candled them and didn't see any sign of the veins. Should I just wait until I can get an incubator?
  2. Mister B

Mister B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    NW Alabama
    What happens is a chicken may decide to sit on the eggs. When she does, she only leaves the nest for a few minutes each day. Your eggs may have been fertilized, but if she wasn't sitting on them most of the time, they aren't going to hatch. You can make a simple incubator for a little work and $20-$30 depending on what stuff you already have. Look up DIY incubators on here, or PM me and I will tell you how I built mine.
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by