help

kerri45

Hatching
Mar 21, 2015
I have three very large rescue hens. I have cut of some of the garden for them and its getting very muddy! What can I put on the mud. Hay brings flies so I need another idea x

Would cedar chips work? Cedar seems to keep the bugs away
well I will be putting then back in there run area as I dont want them ripping my garden up x so ill be putting grass in there everytime I cut the lawn! Would they be ok with this!? X my hens love the grass! But I need the grass for the kids haha I feel bad

Yes clippings are fine- just not so thick they stay wet. Chickens are badly affected (health wise) by molds!

I use hay throughout my runs and have had no problem with flies. It is mixed with cedar chips so maybe that is why. I do use cedar chips in each coop as well. I have collards and grasses planted along the outside of my fenced area for my chickens. They peck through the wire and eat the fresh leaves and grasses. I have also planted flowers along the outside just to keep it pretty for me!

there are lots of posts on here that say the aroma that cedar puts out is bad for chickens and that cedar shavings are a no no..........

if you can get a tree trimming company to dump you a load of wood chips, that works really well for building up a run, or low spots in the yard, etc. They'll eventually decompose and build up the soil also. I put them in my garden spot, fill in low spots in the yard, mulch the flower beds, add em to the compost pile, etc etc

Back
Top Bottom