HelpASAP mcmurray chicks have cocci now a baby goose just died

I just started losing some 7 week old chicks to coccidia last week. I took them in from the hen house and raised them in a brooder...FIRST mistake...because I thought they were too cold, nights were in the 20's. Then I put them in a big walk in flight in the attached garage with a heat lamp...SECOND mistake. Was too warm and, even though they were on clean straw, they started getting VERY sick. Gave them Sulmet (sp?) and that seemed to be working very slowly, 2 died even with handfeeding and eyedropper watering.

I read on this site to give them PolyViSol and Yogurt so went and did that yesterday. Today they are all looking much better, even the ones that couldn't stand are eating on their own!
wee.gif

I highly recommend the Yogurt, gave mine the strawberry flavored kind on top of their starter (which they weren't eating much of) and they never stopped eating. Had to open two more packages.
smile.png
Please try this.

I never thought of giving them polyvysol

but I did give them milk straigth from the cow yesterday, I think we're on the up hill now, they all have lost their puffiness and are eating /drinking much better now. look really good.

Their pen outside isn't low at all. never holds water. For themost part their on high ground but when it rains l2 inches in one month then the ground's going to be soft anywhere you go.

WE're constantly putting in dirt to fill holes and such, which makes the ground higher. Grass is forming now in the pens.

and we're onthe mend here.

thanks for all thehelp

Back
Top Bottom