Pics

CapricornFarm

Pottery producing maniac
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Feb 1, 2010
Southern Virginia
I am currently building my biggest coop ever and thought about how many newbies are trying to build their first coop ever. Thinking of all you struggling to learn the use of tools and with questions on your mind about planning, i thought it would be helpful to share what i have learned and let others do the same. Even small tips can ease frustration in the building process. If you just want to share pictures of your progress, have at it. Let's share and encourage each other.
The usual back yard chicken rules apply. Please play nice, no need to be rude. Everyone has to learn sometime . Welcome to my coop building thread.

Small tip to start off! How to connect power cords so they stop pulling apart while in use. 20170725_153216.jpg

How to use plywood to attach perches. I sometimes peel my sticks to help discourage mites. Right now i am more worried about racoons since one popped open a latch last night on the brooder! Good thing i had two latches on it since the snake episode.
I cut two pieces of plywood and run two parallel screws into the middle so the tip of the screw just pokes out of the plywood. The plywood goes on the outside of the wire, the stick on the inside, then drill the screw into the stick. If you use larger mesh, you might want to use a big enough piece of plywood to shield the chickens from predators while on the perch. 20170804_133535.jpg

The first thing you want to do before planning a coop is to speak to your family and get their imput. Especially if you want help on your project.
Second, you need to check restrictions and ordinances in your area to see if you can legally own fowl in your area. You don't want to go to the time and effort and expense of building a coop only to find that chickens are not permitted.
Next, decide how many chickens you want and whether they should be large fowl or bantams. Then you can look up how much space each needs to live.
Then get some graph paper to sketch out your design. I count sqares running horizontally and vertically, then decide on a scale. Usually, two squares equal one foot. Unless it's a small coop. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just gets your idea down on paper to refer to as you work. I do a floor plan, and a sketch of each wall and the roof. Mark where each board will go. This will help you estimate how much wood you will need. I will post a sample of my design for a coop later. Right now i need to get back outside and work on the guinea tractor.

Rule of twos....
Make it twice as big as you think you need, walk in....
Put in twice the amount of ventilation you think you need.
It will cost twice as much as you planned.
It will take twice as long to build as you thought it would.

If this is your first flock build coop first, then get chicks.
Since you built it bigger build in a in coop brooder/chicken jail.
Dirt floor for DLM

Gary

Rule of twos....
Make it twice as big as you think you need, walk in....
Put in twice the amount of ventilation you think you need.
It will cost twice as much as you planned.
It will take twice as long to build as you thought it would.

If this is your first flock build coop first, then get chicks.
Since you built it bigger build in a in coop brooder/chicken jail.
Dirt floor for DLM

Gary
I like the way you think, Gary!

If possible, plywood floor with linoleum on it for easy cleaning. Deep Litter method works!!
Consider poop trays under your roosting bars. They work too!
As mentioned earlier, VENTILATION!!!!! More than you think.
Yes, waste can build up ammonia which can be bad for us and the birds. It does not pay to seal up every crack and crevice as long as predators can not reach in to grab your birds. I plan to have a vent high on two walls, plus two windows, and a walk in door and pop holes for the chickens.

To budget HOURS in the hardware section trying to figure out the difference between one type of nail/screw and another.
Yes, generally i use outdoor screws like you would for a deck and galvanized spiral nails when i want to use nails. Also when you drive in screws with a drill, use little bursts of speed rather than top speed all the way. It seems to produce less chattering and stipping of screws. Less frustrating , as well.

Back
Top Bottom