I love it! Would love to build something like that to fence in my garden to keep out the varmints. Garden fencing is not working. I have already spent a small fortune with t posts, fencing, solar charger, wire etc. What the bugs have not eaten, the critters have. Very disheartening.
Good luck to you on your coop build.

Thank you, CapricornFarm...

I don't consider my self rebellious...I just like stuff being thrown at me and make something. Kinda reminds me of woodshop back in the 60's. Use your imagination, working from the ground up, and see what works best for you. You don't need some plans that you've paid hundreds of dollars for. For me, it's simply looking at a project...the beginning and final goal, then looking at the intermediate steps in between (damn, I sound like a piano teacher). Maybe relax and have a glass of wine and look at your project. All those little details will come to you.

I don't know what advice to give you, but I'm running hardware cloth EVERYWHERE to keep my babies safe, but as far as the outside, exposed area for gardening, that's another bridge further down the road. This is just my 16 x 16 foot chicken run hidden below my 5 foot concrete wall. I am allowed to have a (reasonable) amount of poultry.

Attachments

• Baldwin Concert Grand-04.jpg
    Baldwin Concert Grand-04.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Outdoor Run 005.jpg
    Outdoor Run 005.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I am rebuilding a coop I just tore down
it actually was a lean to with a dirt floor. I have 50 60/pound bags of redi mix waiting for me to finish grading the floor.
it is only 12 ft x 7 ft..
I am printing this post with large letters so an old 60 year old guy can read it .:lau
btw,, in 3 weeks I will be 75.:old
Ha, good for you . I am a 60 year old woman. My eyes are good but my arms and back are not what they once were. I have done a lot of work on my coop in dreadful heat and humidity, with minimal assistance. I am proud of it. When i was younger, i dug a 14x14 foot koi pond that is 3 feet deep. I made a base for the waterfall and put up concrete blocks all around to where i was happy with the height. Then i built the waterfall from rocks. It was awesome.
I have to take a lot of breaks to keep myself from overheating. Progress has been reasonably good. Any way, i just want to say i do what i can with what i have. Good for you, staying active!

good for you old girl,,
i was always for equality..
both of my daughters and my son all had the privilege of learning carpentry, mechanics,butchering and whatever else was going on around here.

I am more ambitious in my head than my back can keep up with.
I weed the corn by sitting on a light plastic lawn chair.

to me, building things out of wood is more enjoyable than watching TV.

sorry for getting off the subject.
Now back to the original program..

.....jiminwisc......

good for you old girl,,
both of my daughters and my son all had the privilege of learning carpentry, mechanics,butchering and whatever else was going on around here.

.....jiminwisc......

I think building stuff from scratch is more rewarding than going to the store. Just using your own creativeness can yield marvelous results. You learn as you go, making improvements along the way.

Heck, I built this run completely from scratch, using a pencil and pad, and it's holding steady. Wait until you see the coop! If you know your way around wood and a few power tools, the sky is the limit on what you can do. --BB

Attachments

• Outdoor Run 005.jpg
    Outdoor Run 005.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Outdoor Run 008.jpg
    Outdoor Run 008.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 80
100_1029[1].JPG
100_1031[1].JPG

this is the lean to that I just tore down.
I built it a long time ago out of red pine.
red pine rots quickly .
I am going to pitch the roof to the front so
the snow doesn't slide off onto the sidewalk next to the main chicken coop. it will be a conventional roof with a ridge board.
I am going to extend the roof to cover the sidewalk.
If I can ever find this thread again, I will post "after" pictures..

........jiminwisc........

I would add a plastic lunch box to that. It keeps the connection somewhat waterproof & if needed in the coop because of repairs, etc, protects the connection from the chickens
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/rea...on-cord-plug-protection-for-a-wet-environment
Not really necessary unless it's pouring rain during your build time,
tho might be good to keep dust off connection in the coop.

I use these for outdoor extension cords.
Good to drill small drain holes in bottom of container,
and make sure power source is a GFCI outlet.

good for you old girl,,

.....jiminwisc......
My boys did not want to learn to build, but my elder son eventually did. And i weed sitting on a plastic stool. The key is to keep doing what you can.

I am rebuilding a coop I just tore down
it actually was a lean to with a dirt floor. I have 50 60/pound bags of redi mix waiting for me to finish grading the floor.
it is only 12 ft x 7 ft..
I am printing this post with large letters so an old 60 year old guy can read it .:lau
btw,, in 3 weeks I will be 75.:old

Awesome !!! I'm a 68 yo gramma, also taking too many breaks in this humidity, dang its a wet summer here. Building my first coop and hoping to move the chicks in tomorrow then finish the run. Would LOVE to finally have it done this weekend. Vacay week is over so back to work on Monday. Designed and built by myself -- never built a building before. It's a bit crooked here and there but the chicks won't care. ;) Progress is on a thread Gramcraker's coop. Agreed much more interesting than watching TV.

Back
Top Bottom