Hoop turned more a frame-ish as he grabbed the wrong cattle panels.
Is the hoop part the actual coop, or just a run?
Not sure just a tarped hoop would be enough of a coop in your winters,
unless it was in an area sheltered from winds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hoop-coop-chicken-tractor.72211/
Might want to put some cross braces on the panels to hold up against the snow load. These are hog panels, so much stiffer. Also have a 2 cattle panel one that bowed under snow load without a center span support. They are only used in mild weather for meat birds.

Nope. 1sqft of venting per chicken is what I meant, can't cite the source tho.
As planned right now I have approx. 8 sqft for ventilation, not including the door cuz still deciding on whether or not to make it completely open or only half. That also doesn't account for cracks in between boards on back n front. If I did half the door that would add another 6 or so sq ft of ventilation.

I actually went and measured inside height to peak it's 6 ft 8 inches inside and of course goes down as roof slants. I'm a bit over 5 ft so I made the door 5 ft 5in. I know I may have to watch header board of door frame when stepping in but pretty used to that since I have one of those cheap metal sheds that has short doorway.Once thru I can stand and move around pretty easily...of course bending down in corners n such, but much better than one now I can't even walk into.

with so much ventilation, how are you going to keep it warm in the winter ?
do you sleep with a window open in your bedroom during the winter ? that is only about 1 sq foot...
the ventilation is to let moisture out and a little fresh air in.
I had a hundred assorted birds in a 12 x 16
coop. just opening the door daily when I fed them was enough air exchange to keep moisture from building up.
granted, there are a few cracks around the windows, and in the foundation, too. but no formal venting. i didn't have any frost bite on any of their combs.

I do not follow the guidelines set be the purists. I make my chickens comfortable my own way.. If I can get almost 100% egg production when it is minus 20F, I figure I am doing something right..
IMHO
.......jiminwisc.....

with so much ventilation, how are you going to keep it warm in the winter ?
do you sleep with a window open in your bedroom during the winter ? that is only about 1 sq foot...
the ventilation is to let moisture out and a little fresh air in.
I had a hundred assorted birds in a 12 x 16
coop. just opening the door daily when I fed them was enough air exchange to keep moisture from building up.
granted, there are a few cracks around the windows, and in the foundation, too. but no formal venting. i didn't have any frost bite on any of their combs.

I do not follow the guidelines set be the purists. I make my chickens comfortable my own way.. If I can get almost 100% egg production when it is minus 20F, I figure I am doing something right..
IMHO
.......jiminwisc.....
My windows will actually have hinged boards so I can close completely if need be. I just want to make sure I have enough air flow through all seasons as we do have 4 where I am and from one day to the next can be totally different...was 90 here 2 days ago and yesterday was low 70s and low tonight of 46...if ya don't like weather where I am ya just wait til tomorrow and it'll change...lol

I think a lot of people think chickens need lots of heat but they have good insulation in the form of feathers. We have to bundle up in clothes, because we have no fur or feathers. Wild animals are out in it 24/7. So chickens have it pretty easy, provided food, water and shelter.

I have not put up more siding because we have been busy clearing the land for the new goat shed, which will be 20x12. Excited to get it done! 20170929_191156.jpg

Back
Top Bottom