Which pile will you light up? That green pine is gonna GO!

Oooo, wavy Seuss roof..... please post your build link here, can't wait to see it!
I lit up both piles! I stay out there and watch them. I keep the hose on and soak the ground around the burn piles. It is fun to see the fires take off after i light them.

if you have a sawmill, why use OSB?
I don't have a sawmill, but I took logs to a couple of different guys who would do a tree here and there for me.
I have about a thousand feet of red pine stored in one of my old tool trucks. and a couple of thousand feet of red oak piled in the lean to that is supposed to be my tractor parking shed.
then I have a hundred feet or so of swamp hickore/bitternut.. that is some awesome hard wood.
I do have a Grizzly 15 inch planer.
Love it. use it a lot. little or no snipe..
If I run a board through it and take off just very light cuts and flip the board after each pass, it works almost like a jointer.
I wouldn't want to do a lot of lumber this way, gut for an occasional board I can live with it.
I have a 4 inch jointer for smaller pieces.

I would like to have an Alaskan saw mill.
maybe it is a good thing I don't, or there might not be any trees left in the yard.. LOL

Once , many years ago, I tried cutting a small branch into lumber with my table saw..
It didn't work very well.. LOL

......jiminwisc......
I have been trimming the cedar slabs on the edges to straighten them up before i put them up. It can be tricky, especially around the knots. But i love the look of it.

do you snap a line on the flat side and use a skilsaw ?

.....jiminwisc.......
I use a straight edge and mark with pencil on the flat side. And then use my circular saw, yeah. Hoping to finish the second side today. I really want to get that run set up.

Yay! I finished that side and started making the spacer. I have to work around a very large tree! I will finish painting and start cutting hardware cloth to attach to the 20x10 run. Those young chickens are going to love being outside whenever i finish it!

Nailed welded wire on one side of the spacer. Need to add a board in the middle to attach chicken wire to on the other side. It is awkward trying to connect the panel of the run to my bumpy siding, might have to run a 2x4 in a low area and attach to it. Adapt and conquer! Running the 2 foot wide HC along the bottom of each panel as a skirt. Then to build the top.

Last edited:
sounds like you are getting er done.
me too.
I got all the rafters up.
trouble with taking pictures of the day's work, it is too shady to take a decent picture.
If the structure is still standing in the morning , I will take a picture then..
I bought two 2x6x12' ..got some straight ones , going to make sub-fascia with them.
(those are afterthoughts.) I was going to let the rafter tails exposed, but I think the fascia will look nicer.
and in the future, I might add a front wall onto this shed and then it will be ready for sofits and complete closed in...
who knows ? I might get chickens again some day..not too likely ..

Now I am at the point of having to plane about 100 feet of 1x4 strips for the purlins.

then I can put the metal roof on.

.......jiminwisc......

I am so pleased to be back at work on the coop and getting the run started! My young chickens are getting bigger and really need to get some outdoor time. 20170930_151309.jpg

Back
Top Bottom