Not finished yet but yes is new coop.
The roosts in middle are 4.5 ft. There are also 2 other 7 ft roosts along side not in pic. It's a ripped down piece of plywood lil over foot deep. It's what my 2 guineas like better than an actual roost, not sure why..and the front roost was just over 2 ft from front, but has since been removed and so now there's only 2 of the 4.5 ft ones the front one is 3ft 10in from front and 2 7 ft ones. Nest boxes are under windows on each side and adding another 3 on back wall under the plyboard, which will pop out back for easy access. And still have roof covering and metal for roof/overhang
New pics with 7' roosts showing and nests?
Have they settled in there yet.....or still stalking to old coop?

New pics with 7' roosts showing and nests?
Have they settled in there yet.....or still stalking to old coop?
No stalking of old coop. Half of em laid in new coop yesterday and all but one laid her eggs in new coop today.
I'll get updated pics posted when possible. Not home so can't take em atm. It's actually 12 hens and a roo. The guineas sleep in there sometimes and other times they like to stay out n sleep on top of the ducks coop. They stay wherever they are settled in come sunset. They're a bit indecisive. I think it's because the female can't decide if she wants to follow the rooster or the male guinea....lol. I always have animals with identity crisis...my Chihuahua, Lil Bit, thinks she's a cat. I also have one hen who plays with the Chihuahua. It's pretty comical. The chicken is bigger than Lil Bit and weighs more too.

Last edited:
No stalking of old coop. Half of em laid in new coop yesterday and all but one laid her eggs in new coop today.
I'll get updated pics posted when possible. Not home so can't take em atm. It's actually 12 hens and a roo. The guineas sleep in there sometimes and other times they like to stay out n sleep on top of the ducks coop. They stay wherever they are settled in come sunset. They're a bit indecisive. I think it's because the female can't decide if she wants to follow the rooster or the male guinea....lol. I always have animals with identity crisis...my Chihuahua, Lil Bit, thinks she's a cat. I also who have one hen who plays with the Chihuahua. It's pretty comical. The chicken is bigger than Lil Bit and weighs more too.
Sounds like they approve of the new lodgings! :D

Sounds like they approve of the new lodgings! :D
I think so...they can move around better. The old coop was made from an old captains bed and not much head room. I knew I was moving and didn't wanna start them a new coop til I moved, which was first week of August. So once we got settled we started getting everything planned out and together to do it. Started on it Thursday and got them in it Saturday..still have some work to do on it, but it's secure and has necessities. It's a work in progress, but moving forward. I think they have to be more comfortable in bigger coop.

I went shopping today, got the one board i needed for the roof of the run, and the plywood for the cat scratch post. Plus a bunch of great deals on other stuff unrelated to building but needed none the less.
The contractor marked off where the goat shed will be built and put stakes in the ground!

It was an iffy start to the day today.
RadaR had a big storm front heading this way.
I decided to work anyway, until it started to rain.
well the storm petered out before it got here.
just a few misty sprinkles. I worked right through them and the sun came out.

I took out all the temporary bracing and lined the inside walls with OSB . that really tightened up the walls and will hold them plumb.
I called Menard's to see if they had 1x3x12'
yup, for $7.50 each. forget it. I will rip some rough pine into strips.

I found a ton of 10d, 6d, 12d, nails in the shop. do you think I could find at least a handful of 8d ?
I did find some 2" torque head screws. so I used them to tack up the OSB. I liked that so much, I am going to get a couple pounds of them and finish the OSB with them,

In the olden days, this shed would be done already. but now I take longer breaks than work time..

........jiminwisc.....

It was an iffy start to the day today.
RadaR had a big storm front heading this way.
I decided to work anyway, until it started to rain.
well the storm petered out before it got here.
just a few misty sprinkles. I worked right through them and the sun came out.

I took out all the temporary bracing and lined the inside walls with OSB . that really tightened up the walls and will hold them plumb.
I called Menard's to see if they had 1x3x12'
yup, for $7.50 each. forget it. I will rip some rough pine into strips.

I found a ton of 10d, 6d, 12d, nails in the shop. do you think I could find at least a handful of 8d ?
I did find some 2" torque head screws. so I used them to tack up the OSB. I liked that so much, I am going to get a couple pounds of them and finish the OSB with them,

In the olden days, this shed would be done already. but now I take longer breaks than work time..

........jiminwisc.....
Jim, i hear you about the breaks. I take lots unless husband is helping. He gets bored when i take a break and wanders off. So if i want help i keep working. Hoping he will help me finish off the run roof tomorrow. I have to add soil in the low spots and dig trenches to bury the skirts. Excited to get that part done tomorrow, i hope.

Back
Top Bottom