good evening,
well, the wind died down so I gave it a try.
I got two sheets of steel up on the roof.
my spacer jig worked just great.
one drawback. when I went to put the screws in, they turned out to be 1/4" heads. I thought all metal roof screws were 5/16"
luckily I found a 1/4" socket . fitted it with a hex drive and got enough screws in to hold the two sheets until tomorrow.
a strange thing happened today.
My Dewalt circular saw seemed to be giving me a mild shock. it seemed to be coming from the trigger. IDK if moisture got inside it or what ?? kind of leary about using it again.

most of the heavy sawing is done. I have a lightweight WEN saw that I can use if I have to

.........jiminwisc........

I can't remember the last time i got a haircut. My hair is about down to my waist. I was going to cut it off and donate to kids with cancer but i hate having short hair in winter so i will wait until spring.
Going to dig dirt to fill the low spot in the back corner of the run today. If i can drag myself out there.

I am backwards..... can't help it I was born that way too. lol Whenever I get the urge to cut my hair short it's nearly winter. I think now I will just keep it short.

good evening,
well, the wind died down so I gave it a try.
I got two sheets of steel up on the roof.
my spacer jig worked just great.
one drawback. when I went to put the screws in, they turned out to be 1/4" heads. I thought all metal roof screws were 5/16"
luckily I found a 1/4" socket . fitted it with a hex drive and got enough screws in to hold the two sheets until tomorrow.
a strange thing happened today.
My Dewalt circular saw seemed to be giving me a mild shock. it seemed to be coming from the trigger. IDK if moisture got inside it or what ?? kind of leary about using it again.

most of the heavy sawing is done. I have a lightweight WEN saw that I can use if I have to

.........jiminwisc........

Yikes Jim, i would sure check the cord to see if it is frayed. Maybe you need heavy rubber gloves. Or bring out a different saw. Not a great way to make you work faster!

Started building coops as a hobby during the past two years. Few things I come find as truth in my ease of doing anything (And I am a wood hack at best). First, it may be in your head, but draw it out on something just as a reference. I start out in my head with a box, if I don't have a tangible design on paper, I attempt to build things way out of my skill level. Second, probably the most time saving in my experience and lowers the level of frustration...whatever you plan on doing on the inside, once you have the walls up do all that first and finish it off. The outside can wait and it gives you more room to work with. Also, I only use screws...I mess up that much so its super easy to just unscrew a decking screw and they're fairly affordable for a box.

Started building coops as a hobby during the past two years. Few things I come find as truth in my ease of doing anything (And I am a wood hack at best). First, it may be in your head, but draw it out on something just as a reference. I start out in my head with a box, if I don't have a tangible design on paper, I attempt to build things way out of my skill level. Second, probably the most time saving in my experience and lowers the level of frustration...whatever you plan on doing on the inside, once you have the walls up do all that first and finish it off. The outside can wait and it gives you more room to work with. Also, I only use screws...I mess up that much so its super easy to just unscrew a decking screw and they're fairly affordable for a box.
Will you share some pictures of your coops?

I was thinking of slipping a surgical glove on when I saw.
I am at the point where the pieces are short enough to do on the table saw.
I just put a brand new cord on this saw 2 weeks ago. all of my receptacles are up to code.
I have no problem with any other tools.
I think the switch must be faulty.

not sure if I will get anything done today.
rain,, and then maybe more rain.. off and on.

I am re-using some roof panels. they have screw holes in them. I will not be using the same holes, so how should I plug those holes ??

I am using mostly all screws , too.
I just don't like the way driving large nails shakes and jars what I am working on.
I use the torque screws. (star head).
less slippage when putting them in or out.
my second choice is square drive, but only in a pinch..
Philips drive are reserved for absolutely emergency situations when I cannot find the other kinds. so far that emergency has not come up..
don't make the mistake of using drywall screws for construction. the do and will break later down the road.
You want to use a screw that will bend.
drywall screws are too brittle.
and besides, their threads do not hold much..

......jiminwisc......

I was thinking of slipping a surgical glove on when I saw.
I am at the point where the pieces are short enough to do on the table saw.
I just put a brand new cord on this saw 2 weeks ago. all of my receptacles are up to code.
I have no problem with any other tools.
I think the switch must be faulty.

not sure if I will get anything done today.
rain,, and then maybe more rain.. off and on.

I am re-using some roof panels. they have screw holes in them. I will not be using the same holes, so how should I plug those holes ??

I am using mostly all screws , too.
I just don't like the way driving large nails shakes and jars what I am working on.
I use the torque screws. (star head).
less slippage when putting them in or out.
my second choice is square drive, but only in a pinch..
Philips drive are reserved for absolutely emergency situations when I cannot find the other kinds. so far that emergency has not come up..
don't make the mistake of using drywall screws for construction. the do and will break later down the road.
You want to use a screw that will bend.
drywall screws are too brittle.
and besides, their threads do not hold much..

......jiminwisc......
I would use a bit of caulk to plug those nail holes Jim.

Back
Top Bottom