Currently have absurdly high ventilation since one side is completely open. All wind facing sides are enclosed, but open on the East. Still trying to figure out how I want to handle that side honestly, thinking about leaving it mostly open, or tarping off only one half. The temp numbers are encouraging though.

Last winter the girls were in a large, wood coop, but I left the windows propped open throughout without any problems. No frostbite. However the coop stayed, on average, 14F warmer than outside. Huddle boxes, I like it. Have to do something similar, especially for the ducks.

Currently have absurdly high ventilation since one side is completely open. All wind facing sides are enclosed, but open on the East. Still trying to figure out how I want to handle that side honestly, thinking about leaving it mostly open, or tarping off only one half. The temp numbers are encouraging though.

Last winter the girls were in a large, wood coop, but I left the windows propped open throughout without any problems. No frostbite. However the coop stayed, on average, 14F warmer than outside. Huddle boxes, I like it. Have to do something similar, especially for the ducks.
My south side was open in the 8x24 coop and partially in the 8x8

KIMG0005 (1).JPG
KIMG0004 (3).JPG

tarps will have to be replaced every few years.
I think the most I got out of any was about 5 years. but they did start getting holes in them before that..
with that large volume of free space inside the hoop coop, you don't have to worry too much about ventilation..
like the chickens that used to roost in the barn hay mow never got frost bite.
if you put high cross supports in, the guineas will use them for roosts. they like to go to the highest place they can.
I should take a picture of one of my pine trees that the guineas adopted. it is just about worn out..

the people down in Capital city (Madison) are going to make their decision today.
question: should children / people of any age be allowed to go deer hunting with a gun ??
REALLY ?? is there any doubt of what the answer should be ??
I was against 10 year olds a couple of years ago when they passed that one..

hmmm do you think the insurance companies have anything to do with this ??

scary stuff..

lllllllllllljiminwisclllllllll

Hey Molpet, you've just given me dangerous ideas for my new hoop coop. Hubby is going to love this, not. I draft him for all my kooky chicken lady ideas. Good thing I have some 2x4s lying around.

We put up our hoop coop and then both us grabbed on the underside and let our body weight hang. We're just shy of three hundred pounds together, but it barely budged. Things is surprisingly resilient. I'm not overly worried about snow load, but still want at least one central support, preferably two. The back edge of the coop is currently hooked up under the frame of the run, and while not intentional, it's very convenient for stability. The girls have already got the idea and started sleeping and laying eggs in it, still have to get the nest boxes properly arranged. Good thing they don't mind drills and impact drivers, but heaven forbid you get a garbage bag anywhere near them... Go figure.

I have a question though. A tarped hoop coop, no hay bales, although not in a particularly windy spot, blue not clear tarp because that was the stronger option... How low have the temperatures gotten for those of you that have one like that or very similar, without harming the birds? I'm planning to stick my remote temperature sensor in the hoop coop to monitor temps over the winter. Maybe I'll make a science experiment of it if no one has good data, but I figured I'd pick some brains first.
I just built mine, but i don't know. The trees all around slow down the wind there. I was considering stacking a row of straw bales around the perimeter.

no frost bite since they were moved into the hoop coop with the 2 huddle boxes.. at -10f the molting girls went into the junk coop and the wood dog house(that the turkeys are standing on).. at below -17 most of the chooks joined them..

pre hoop coop ..the time they got frostbite it was about 30f , just below freezing) and a freezing rain (high humidity).. 8 were locked in at night in the old wooden dog house 4x4 made into a coop w/poor ventilation.. ventilation is the key.
What are your huddle boxes like?

I am wondering how much of those ends on my hoop coop i should leave open for ventilation or if i should cover part of it if it gets very cold.

Back
Top Bottom