@CapricornFarm and everyone else. Just heard on the radio that SEARS (and Kmart) is selling EVERYTHING for 50% off !!!! Now till T-day I think.

So if you are looking for tools this maybe a good thing :) Not that I need tools yet, but I think I may go just to see what they have in stock at my store close to me.
Ooh, just so happens i am going to Danville today for my ENT appointment! So i will check out those stores too!

I have a Sears & Roebuck contractors saw.
I bought it before our first daughter was born.
I think it was 1964. I built a few houses and did lots of remodeling with that saw.

I just tuned it up after putting it off for far too many years. It is as good today as it was when I bought it new.

it has a cast iron top.
these saws are very rebuildable.
so if you can find a used one in not too bad a shape, buy it.

the key to tuning one is to get the blade exactly parallel with the miter slot.
You have to loosen the top from the blade assembly and turn it until you get it right.

what you want is a saw that stays put while you push wood through it.
especially plywood sheets.

remember, fingers are not push sticks ..

do you know the definition of a level headed banjo picker is ?
he drools out of both sides of his mouth equally..

.....jiminwisc.....
Hey Jim, I knew about push sticks because i took classes at the local community college in home repair and used a table saw there. But thanks for the tip. I value my hands highly!

Hey Jim, I knew about push sticks because i took classes at the local community college in home repair and used a table saw there. But thanks for the tip. I value my hands highly!

I knew about them from high school woodworking shop.
but a couple of years after buying my saw, I got a little careless.
tried to clear a cut off piece between the fence and blade with my thumb. it kicked back and cut my thumbnail completely off except for a tiny piece at the edge.
after a year or so, the whole nail grew back from that tiny slip..

since that I have bought other power tools that I can hurt myself with.
like driving a spike up through my finger and out through the center of my fingernail..
if there is a will, there is a way..
.....jiminwisc.....

I knew about them from high school woodworking shop.
but a couple of years after buying my saw, I got a little careless.
tried to clear a cut off piece between the fence and blade with my thumb. it kicked back and cut my thumbnail completely off except for a tiny piece at the edge.
after a year or so, the whole nail grew back from that tiny slip..

since that I have bought other power tools that I can hurt myself with.
like driving a spike up through my finger and out through the center of my fingernail..
if there is a will, there is a way..
.....jiminwisc.....
I have a healthy respect for all power tools, but it is easy to become complacent. Especially with those battery power tools! So there is an important tip for everyone building anything with power tools of any kind, metal rends flesh.. so be careful. No loose clothing or unbound long hair while using power tools!

No, it is 10 to 50%. Mostly 10%. But i bought some drill drill bits and a tool box for the Mule. Santa is bringing them for me.
No table saw? I looked and don't see a belt driven one on there website that is a craftsman. What I can tell you is that I bought a direct drive craftsman table saw when I was 20 ish. I hated it. Loud and so not smooth. I ran my fathers belt drive for 10 years before that saw and loved his. And we got my father inlaw belt drive 10 years ago and gave that direct drive to my sister. Sis hasn't really used any other saw and love it.

Scott

No table saw? I looked and don't see a belt driven one on there website that is a craftsman. What I can tell you is that I bought a direct drive craftsman table saw when I was 20 ish. I hated it. Loud and so not smooth. I ran my fathers belt drive for 10 years before that saw and loved his. And we got my father inlaw belt drive 10 years ago and gave that direct drive to my sister. Sis hasn't really used any other saw and love it.

Scott
I looked at a couple of saws, but i figure there should be some good sales for Thanksgiving.

Yes there should
I went to update phone after another bulge dunk. This time I had to put in a bag of rice for 2 days. Phone came back alive and verizon rep talked me into waiting till end of month for better promos. I hope they promo a VR headset with the s8. Lol
Scott

go to craigs list. usually lots of table saws there.
look for at least
1 HP 3400 rpm motor.
belt drive. stay away from direct drive. no power..
my bil gave me one . I tried it for a few times. didn't like it at all.. gave it back to him.

I picked one up on the curb once. it ran. but I took the motor out and used the stand for something else..
most table saws can be reconditioned.. and it doesn't cost much, usually..
I have one in my garage that my brother gave to me.
he always had trouble with the motor not wanting to start up.
I think it is wired for 220V and he was using 110V
one of these fine days I will go at it and fix it up..

yesterday I bought a machinist square. I am not 100% satisfied with the
angle/squareness of my saw blade.

thinking about re-making my router table. it is too large and cumbersome ..

btw. the visiting dog, Wendy, finally came into heat and the deed is done. she will be going home on Thursday.
there will be puppies for sale about Jan 1.
.....jiminwisc.....

Back
Top Bottom