I don't see any little ginger chicks? Where are the ginger chicks?

I love gingerbread. Unfortunately DH doesn't so if I make it I get to eat it all. A couple of years ago I made Gingerbread Whoopie Pies from a kit and loved them.
The chicks will be made of another edible material.

20171223_192403.jpg
Making nest box from graham crackers.
20171223_191601.jpg

Perches are twizzlers.
20171223_192103.jpg

Mounted the door in the frame.

I took up chicken coops as a hobby, I'm a wood hack. My passion for it doesn't equal my ability at all! So this is what I've learned so far for me..

1) Decking screws with a star/square head are your friend in all sizes. You'll mess up..just unscrew it.
2) Keep it simple, they're chickens and its not a piano so relax and enjoy the thrill of the build!
3)Build bigger than you think
4)Chickens and chicken accessories at the end are not cheap, it adds up.
5)There is a plethora of free material out in the world..use it!
6)Add windows..makes it so much easier to check in on them without disturbing their roosting.
7)A coop you see may look cute like a fuzzy hybrid puppy kitten..that doesn't mean it works well or is good for your flock. So do your research, ask a lot of questions and always remember to be a 'student'.
8)PVC roofing panels are your friend, and they are affordable.
9)If it isn't straight, level and square..just stop building and make sure it is. You'll keep on paying over and over again for that.
10) The very most importanist' thing on my list...HAVE FUN, enjoy it, learn something new, be creative once you get a good foundation and structure add some herb or flower boxes, some hand painted signs with your chickens names on it. It doesn't have to be perfect to someone else, it only has to be perfect for you!

Good points @Chullicken.

I'd add one thing. Ventilate, Ventilate and then ventilate some more!

Cap that looks good enough to eat....Even without the little gingerbread chicks.
'Proper Ventilation'..I read everyone saying ventilate, but not very many saying how, why for optimal results. Holes in the side of a coop is not ventilation, its conflicting wind directions. Only thing I'll add.

I am done! Please check out the contest entries under 9th annual NYD Hatch along HAL Baking and Gingerbread contest ... listed under sub title hatch alongs..... could someone post a link please? I am techno challenged!

I took up chicken coops as a hobby, I'm a wood hack. My passion for it doesn't equal my ability at all! So this is what I've learned so far for me..

1) Decking screws with a star/square head are your friend in all sizes. You'll mess up..just unscrew it.
2) Keep it simple, they're chickens and its not a piano so relax and enjoy the thrill of the build!
3)Build bigger than you think
4)Chickens and chicken accessories at the end are not cheap, it adds up.
5)There is a plethora of free material out in the world..use it!
6)Add windows..makes it so much easier to check in on them without disturbing their roosting.
7)A coop you see may look cute like a fuzzy hybrid puppy kitten..that doesn't mean it works well or is good for your flock. So do your research, ask a lot of questions and always remember to be a 'student'.
8)PVC roofing panels are your friend, and they are affordable.
9)If it isn't straight, level and square..just stop building and make sure it is. You'll keep on paying over and over again for that.
10) The very most importanist' thing on my list...HAVE FUN, enjoy it, learn something new, be creative once you get a good foundation and structure add some herb or flower boxes, some hand painted signs with your chickens names on it. It doesn't have to be perfect to someone else, it only has to be perfect for you!
Thanks for sharing with us!

Back
Top Bottom