Maybe you could get a saw mill from one of them? What happened to a $300 estimate? Ouch.
I am too old to go become a sawyer.
the mind says yes, but the body says,
who, me ??
the starter was $311.oo plus the towing which was $119.oo ..
$430.oo
yes, OUCH !! but what can I do ??
without a starter, the truck is a half ton paper weight.. LOL

We have some very large king snakes around here. These turkeys are about a month old. A snake that size probably couldn't eat them but might kill them to give it a try. Once I get the big turkeys in there it probably won't be an issue.

The problem I had with snakes and my Turkey was the eggs. The rat snakes will go under the Turkey for the eggs and young poults.

If you are going to build your own roosts, don't buy the circular shaped wood. Use two by fours instead. It's a lot more comfortable and secure from my experience. Also, if possible, have two roosts instead of just one, even if you only have a handful of chickens. It will prevent fights over position on the roost from breaking out as often because there is more space to go around.

I've also attached a picture of the roost I built for my chickens. The ladder is for older chickens that need help getting up onto the roost because their flight capabilities aren't the best. I assembled the roosts mostly with screws and whatever these cool metal things are called. Also a rule of thumb is to make sure the roosts are higher off the ground then the nesting area is.
IMG_20180717_094311433_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180717_094325225_HDR.jpg

I am too old to go become a sawyer.
the mind says yes, but the body says,
who, me ??
the starter was $311.oo plus the towing which was $119.oo ..
$430.oo
yes, OUCH !! but what can I do ??
without a starter, the truck is a half ton paper weight.. LOL
Yeah, handling those logs is a deterrent for sure. That is why i am not pushing for a mill.

If you are going to build your own roosts, don't buy the circular shaped wood. Use two by fours instead. It's a lot more comfortable and secure from my experience. Also, if possible, have two roosts instead of just one, even if you only have a handful of chickens. It will prevent fights over position on the roost from breaking out as often because there is more space to go around.

I've also attached a picture of the roost I built for my chickens. The ladder is for older chickens that need help getting up onto the roost because their flight capabilities aren't the best. I assembled the roosts mostly with screws and whatever these cool metal things are called. Also a rule of thumb is to make sure the roosts are higher off the ground then the nesting area is.View attachment 1471281 View attachment 1471280
Helpful hints for sure. Thanks for sharing. I use small trees for my roosts. Very natural and no corners. Plus they are free. I have 13 acres, lots of junk trees to cull.

good morning,
I just spent the last two hours pulling weeds and raspberries out of my grape vines.
I am about 3/4 done.
lots of grape pruning will be forthcoming.
I will have to start all over with training them. from staking/shaping to making posts with wire on them..
this patch is one that I dug up all the roots from a couple of years ago. had intentions of abandoning it. I guess there were pieces of roots left.. all are in a row, except one. I will dig that one out and replant it into the row. I might have to replant a few that are in the row, too. they are spaced too close apart..
I took a "before" picture. I will take an "after" picture when I get them staked..

in the hereafter, when you want to use metal hangars for roosts, get joist hangars
they have a flange in the bottom so you won't have to nail the 2x4 in. then you can lift them out if you want to..

.........jiminwisc.......

Do you have guineas? They give snakes hell.

when I had guineas, I tossed a snake into their midst . they were just indifferent to it and walked away..
but if you want to have fun, just shoot a fox and lay the carcass where the guineas will eventually find it..
what a ruckess .. mine surrounded the carcass and yelled at it for an hour.
I finally removed it.
.....jiminwisc.....

Also a rule of thumb is to make sure the roosts are higher off the ground then the nesting area is.
Yes, indeed.... but also give them at least 18" between roost and roof for head room.
Ramps, and especially ladders, need to be less than 45° off horizontal or they'll have trouble climbing them, let along using them to get down.
Chicken wire is not predator proof.

Nice framework on the building tho.

Back
Top Bottom