No rain for the last few days and none expected till next Friday, maybe... Could you send some of that rain my way Cap? Garden is keeping me crazy busy, nearly nothing left in the greenhouse except for some seeds I just planted, we made a big deck out of an over-sized pallet to make enough room for all the extra pots, waiting for the mailman to drop off more fabric pots. Came in to make dinner, baked chicken, egg noodles, and stir-fried veg., including our first snap peas. I am planting a lot more of those next year. Turns out that half of the 6 surviving chicks we hatched are males. We'll try to rehome our favorite (Carl, the chicken formerly known as Carmen) but the rest will likely be a nice dinner.

no rain here yet. I even watered the plants and that didn't cause any rain. maybe I should wash the car.?
I have 8 tomatoes to plant.
Boots, how do those cloth bags work ? I have some but haven't used any yet.. Do they dry out quickly ? can I set them in a pan of water ?
....jiminwisc....
This is my first year trying them so I'm learning. There are at least 2 kinds, fabric and plastic. I've gotten the felted fabric ones, they're supposed to keep the roots from circling the walls of the pots, so they must dry out faster than solid plastic pots. I think they're like terracotta pots but without the super fast drying out part. I got 15 gallon size, 5 for about $30 so much cheaper than regular nursery pots. I don't know for sure but I think if you set them in water that they'd rot out. They're supposed to last for years. We have 5 so far with another 5 coming this week.

So the only unhatched egg has been kept in the incubator even though it only had a tiny air cell and everyone else hatched yesterday. After hatching 7 out of 8 of our eggs, DP didn't want to give up on it. Well I was just near the incubator and heard a peep. Opened it up and much louder peeping and a tiny pip in the middle of the egg. DP opened the shell a little more but the membrane had a bunch of veins so she painted it with coconut oil and put the egg back in the incubator. We should know by tomorrow if it's going to be able to kick it's way out or not. I just can't believe so many hatched of shipped eggs with such rank beginners doing the hatching.
Rooting for that egg to be kicked down :) Did the coconut oil work?

my cloth pots are made of ground cover fabric.
I don't think being in water would hurt them much..
I got the four Rutgers tomatoes in their forever homes. I think I will do two Roma's in cloth and two in the 5 gal pails. compare them that way..these are called "smart pots"
DD put a just sprouted buttercup squash in the box. I will put that into a container and see how it goes..
still no rain here. 75F already at 10AM. humid.
When it comes I hope there will be no hail with it.
.....jiminwisc.....

Rule of twos....
Make it twice as big as you think you need, walk in....
Put in twice the amount of ventilation you think you need.
It will cost twice as much as you planned.
It will take twice as long to build as you thought it would.

If this is your first flock build coop first, then get chicks.
Since you built it bigger build in a in coop brooder/chicken jail.
Dirt floor for DLM

Gary
great points Garry, bigger is better.... got to take in consideration for chicken math after all lol

Use a staple gun to attach chicken wire (or hardware cloth, which ever you prefer) and then cover it with a 1 inch width trim board so you cant accidentally poke yourself.
I used a drill with a phillips bit to drive in wood screws with washers to hold the hardware cloth. It is a method which has worked well for me.

No rain for the last few days and none expected till next Friday, maybe... Could you send some of that rain my way Cap? Garden is keeping me crazy busy, nearly nothing left in the greenhouse except for some seeds I just planted, we made a big deck out of an over-sized pallet to make enough room for all the extra pots, waiting for the mailman to drop off more fabric pots. Came in to make dinner, baked chicken, egg noodles, and stir-fried veg., including our first snap peas. I am planting a lot more of those next year. Turns out that half of the 6 surviving chicks we hatched are males. We'll try to rehome our favorite (Carl, the chicken formerly known as Carmen) but the rest will likely be a nice dinner.
You can have all our rain for the next week. I am tired of all the flooding.
Just got back from selling a pair of young Crested Cream Legbars. I figure I might as well clean out the brooder while I have all the chicks in the transport cage. I took all of them to try and tempt the buyer, lol.

Rooting for that egg to be kicked down :) Did the coconut oil work?
Yup it did, DP worked with it into the early morning and it hatched in her hand. Lovely dark feathered girl we named Mahogany and best of all she IS a girl. She had a rough start but came through it all and is a cuddle chicken.

I think I will do two Roma's in cloth and two in the 5 gal pails. compare them that way..these are called "smart pots"
.....jiminwisc.....
Amazon has those too. I'm using Garden4Ever and have Vivo to be delivered this week. I'll try the smart pots too. Can
t have too many big pots. We'll be adding another planting deck to the greenhouse deck area. :)

Back
Top Bottom