very seldom do chickens get hurt by the pecking order
they are "chicken" at heart and the weaker ones will back down quickly.
They must be able to get far enough away to satisfy their superiors...why space is so important.

Speaking of pecking order....
Broody took chicks to roost last night, at the best end of the 7' roost,
alll the other birds crammed onto the 4' roost. :rolleyes: SMH.

How is a person ever supposed to get anything done? It keeps raining. Every time I went out today it was sprinkling or flat out raining! I did get three Icelandic poppies planted and pulled weeds. But no building got done today.
20200527_134239.jpg

First page of chicknic plans.
20200527_134239.jpg

Last fall we bought that cool chicken fountain. It sat on the front porch all that time and we didn't set it up. Just didn't have the right place for it. That has changed, we had the driveway and a kind of courtyard set with black rock and river pebbles and the center made the perfect home for our Water Chicken:
Water Chicken.jpg

And the sound it makes is so nice.

I had to look up monitor roof.
under eave ventilation works well,
In some old time coops I have seen, there was a wooden vent sticking out of the roof like a coupella .(sp)
I was going to have my cuppa outside this morning, didn't happen. it is raining.
which means no potting nor building either.
one of these days I have to hook up the tool bar on the tractor and work up the garden soil. I think it is safe to plant corn and
beans, now.
this year, instead of pulling weeds, I am going to try hilling the corn after it is about 8 inches tall. I saw this on youtube and it appealed to me..
......jiminwisc........

My little in-town coop had a monitor roof and I never had any problems with rain in the coop even during major storms.
Got pics @3KillerBs ?

In some old time coops I have seen, there was a wooden vent sticking out of the roof like a coupella .(sp)
Probably was a cupola(I always have to check the spelling on that one).
..and probably a functioning one, with open louvered sides, instead of the decorative kind.

I had to look up monitor roof.

Got pics @3KillerBs ?

I'm sorry, I'm in mid-move and on my Chromebook without access to the photos on my desktop or I'd have posted it. I think I recently put some earlier in this thread, but possibly in a different coop-building thread. :)

I have to put a new roof on that coop before I turn it into a brooder/grow-out facility and I'm going to extend the roof overhangs another 6-8". But even though I didn't have chickens in it at the time, I went out to check it for damage after Florence and found it dry as a bone inside.

Back
Top Bottom