May you remain wind protected.

and thanks for the link to the thread.

I'll be curious as to how the new roof materials hold up, particularly above your nesting boxes. That's looks to be a very shallow slope, there aren't many roofing options suitable, sadly. I see you went with a drop down door for accessing the boxes, you won't regret it. Imminently practical.

I chose 5/12 for mine - which matches the barn to which it is attached - but I don't know any reputable builders or manufacturers that would recommend less than 3/12, unless you first replace tar paper and similar underlayments with the peel and stick like the GAF Stormguard or Liberty SBS products. In the picture, your pitch looks close to that (though I am a bad judge of such things).

I chose 5/12 for mine - which matches the barn to which it is attached - but I don't know any reputable builders or manufacturers that would recommend less than 3/12, unless you first replace tar paper and similar underlayments with the peel and stick like the GAF Stormguard or Liberty SBS products. In the picture, your pitch looks close to that (though I am a bad judge of such things).

Now that you've brought it up, I'm curious exactly what it is. The nestbox roof matches the roof-roof -- but it's raining too hard for me to go out and measure it right now. 😁

P.S. I always leave those details to DH. Increasingly, I give concept sketches to DD and she puts them in CAD (she works for an engineering firm), after conferring with DH.

I SHOULD have done mine in SketchUp first, would have saved me a few wasted cuts, and a full sheet of board.

In any event, the workmanship is clearly there, I'm certain whatever DH does will be fine, though a steeper roof might extend the life of the roofing materials a few more years.

Hope the rain stops soon - we had all of ours last week, and the week before.

So I'm not new to chickens or coops but I have recently revitalized my coop, run I built new nestboxes and am building a quail pen which I am new at i love to build and I'm an upcycler all of my stuff is made from pallets and plywood
This one is made from pallets, packing crate and plywood with windows from the restore.
20191206_161247.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom