good morning,
yeah Aart, sometimes all you have to do is call their bluff and they fix themselves.
they always said, old bones heal slowly, but nobody ever told me about old sore muscles..
I was just outside. Counted the ''few'' tomatoes that DD brought. 16 of them. all real nice plants. all Romas. I will have to steal about 20 buckets of dirt from out back.
I am building up a nice supply of potting soil for next year. a bucket at a time.
they are 5 gallon buckets, but only about 2/3 full of dirt. and now the weeds are growing prolifically in them.. I pick the weeds out of the cement mixer after the dirt is pulverized.
It is nice to have the leaky pipe in the basement , fixed.
...a plmber friend came and soldered it together for us. I had all the pipes deburred and polished. she charged us only $25.oo.
Annie ''tipped'' her with a dozen tree ripened peaches and a 10 pound bag of shrimp..

good morning,
yeah Aart, sometimes all you have to do is call their bluff and they fix themselves.
they always said, old bones heal slowly, but nobody ever told me about old sore muscles..
I was just outside. Counted the ''few'' tomatoes that DD brought. 16 of them. all real nice plants. all Romas. I will have to steal about 20 buckets of dirt from out back.
I am building up a nice supply of potting soil for next year. a bucket at a time.
they are 5 gallon buckets, but only about 2/3 full of dirt. and now the weeds are growing prolifically in them.. I pick the weeds out of the cement mixer after the dirt is pulverized.
It is nice to have the leaky pipe in the basement , fixed.
...a plmber friend came and soldered it together for us. I had all the pipes deburred and polished. she charged us only $25.oo.
Annie ''tipped'' her with a dozen tree ripened peaches and a 10 pound bag of shrimp..
Are you planning on canning tomatoes? Sounds like you will be having overload!
20200703_194339.jpg

No, hubby isn't due for a stint in the Dog house! He is on my good side with all the work he has been doing on this goat house. I even have lights now!

Attachments

• 20200703_194339.jpg
    20200703_194339.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 2
Happy 4th of July,
Yes, the original plan was to can 100 quarts of tomatoes. enough for 3 households.
a few years ago, when I was much younger,
I canned 96 quarts in one day, all by myself..
This year, If the two DD's don't help, I will can just enough for mom and pop..
The local farm store has a sale on Kerr lids. 15 cents per lid in packs of 12.
best price I have seen yet..
We have plenty of jars and rings.
......jiminwisc.......

I snagged 18 buckets of dirt. mixed a four bucket batch and dumped it into the tractor bucket. I figure I can get all 18 buckets mixed and into the tractor bucket. I mix a batch and then come into the house to cool off. the cycle takes over an hour.. mostly cooling off time.
it is 83F and climbing. Not going to kill myself..
If I don't get it all done today, there is always tomorrow.
.....jiminwisc.....

This is the biggest garden I've ever had so lots of mistakes. Next year I won't plant the determinant tomatoes right next to the indeterminants. I was just out there trying to de-sucker and trim back the wheatly's and black cherries and I kinda think I've lost control. And the determinants (can't read the freaking labels since the plants grew way over them) are terrifying. Gonna need to order that food dryer and lots more canning jars. And lids...and rings.

Today hubby was up working while I slept in. The feels like temperature here was 100° . I put another coat of paint on the biggest set of steps, worked on the goat walkway, put hardware cloth over the two windows on the goat side of the house. I need to find more hardware cloth to buy.
Oh, and I cut the pieces to trim around the two windows I did. Hubby got the small door made and installed in the divider of the goat house.
Under time pressure to get the house done, the goats are being picked up on Wednesday!
And my FIL , who was 92, died this morning. He lived a long life, and was always pleasant when I saw him.

Today hubby was up working while I slept in. The feels like temperature here was 100° . I put another coat of paint on the biggest set of steps, worked on the goat walkway, put hardware cloth over the two windows on the goat side of the house. I need to find more hardware cloth to buy.
Oh, and I cut the pieces to trim around the two windows I did. Hubby got the small door made and installed in the divider of the goat house.
Under time pressure to get the house done, the goats are being picked up on Wednesday!
And my FIL , who was 92, died this morning. He lived a long life, and was always pleasant when I saw him.
You are really powering along with that goat house despite the heat! :clap

Condolences to you and hubby for FIL.:hugs

Sorry for your loss

sorry for your loss. especially since he was a pleasant old guy..
I hope somebody says that about me some day.
Paint all the low areas first. the high ones can be painted after the goats are there..
I almost made my goal yesterday. I came up two out of sixteen tomatoes short of being planted. I ran out of dirt.

20200704_192018[2].jpg

here they are. I was finished at 7PM.
the one in the very closest bucket might not make it. It was really wilted.
those ten buckets in the far back are from last week. and there are ten more off to the left , out of the picture.. all of them are self watering buckets.
then there are 28 that are not self watering.
62 plants in all.. I wanted only eight..
I sure hope the weather treats me right all summer..
Boots, don't sweat it if you don't get all the suckers. some people don't pick them off at all.. If the plant is well fertilized and healthy, you will still get plenty of tomatoes.
trim off the lower leaves so air can flow under the plants. don't let any leaves touch the ground. you will be just fine. get the salt shaker then sit back and wait..

Back
Top Bottom