I sprinkle my beds with fish emulsion. I think the deer do not like the odor.
I am experimenting, so don't take this as gospel.
I bought the fish emulsion at Menard's. You can probably find it at any garden center..
A little goes a long way. About one ounce per gallon of water. It is organic.

I don't suppose deer would like that -- but I'd worry about attracting raccoons.

I sprinkle my beds with fish emulsion. I think the deer do not like the odor.
I am experimenting, so don't take this as gospel.
I bought the fish emulsion at Menard's. You can probably find it at any garden center..
A little goes a long way. About one ounce per gallon of water. It is organic.
I used to tie little bags of blood meal on each tree in my Grandpa's orchard every fall. It worked for several years. Until it didn't. Just like various other such deterrents he used or we tried on raspberry fields, tomato fields and other crops: soap bars, hot sauce, reflectors, noise makers, fluttery things, pokey things, fish line barriers that were not good deer fences.

The only thing that really works is a good deer fence. Everything else works as long as the deer have tastier and/or more convenient options. Then it doesn't.

The love shack build for my goat is coming slowly. You can see it's just across the trail from the coop in the woods.

Attachments

• 20210804_151822.jpg
    20210804_151822.jpg
    826.9 KB · Views: 6
Helpful hint for coop/run building:

Talk to your neighbors about cast off stuff they may have that you can use/repurpose.

I was chatting with a neighbor and saw a roll of HC in her garage. I asked her what it was for. She said IF they ever got around to it, it was to build a compost bin. I told her I'd help her, and we looked at the place she had in mind, and what she wanted. I told her I could do it for her in half an hour. She asked what I wanted in return. I said, if you don't have a use for the rest of the roll of HC, I sure do.

Deal!

Deer will be the reason I get zero butternut squash this year. I have always had plenty of squash to eat and give away. (A few years ago, I got 90!)

Yup, need a better fence.

And fewer deer. There are a LOT of them around. I hope hunting season thins them out this year.
I saw a dead fawn on the side of the road today, as well as a dead raccoon.

Helpful hint for coop/run building:

Talk to your neighbors about cast off stuff they may have that you can use/repurpose.

I was chatting with a neighbor and saw a roll of HC in her garage. I asked her what it was for. She said IF they ever got around to it, it was to build a compost bin. I told her I'd help her, and we looked at the place she had in mind, and what she wanted. I told her I could do it for her in half an hour. She asked what I wanted in return. I said, if you don't have a use for the rest of the roll of HC, I sure do.

Deal!
Gotta love that. My neighbor gave me some deer fencing, and French drains, as well as left over wood from her house addition. I give her eggs and plants.

Back
Top Bottom