The two story fairy house, i had issues with the weight and stress fractures. Was not happy about it, but will likely build smaller versions. I went ahead and recycled the clay.
20220806_155735.jpg

And this is what the lawnmowing was about -- the battle reenactment day.

I was demonstrating my tape loom, which weaves narrow strips of material that were very important parts of daily life in the 18th century.

Women's clothing was held together with tapes and pins, men had laces in the back of their breeches's waistbands, they were used for garters to hold up your stockings, and for tying anything that needed tying from feed sacks to bundles of sticks.

0806221446_HDR.jpg
0806221446a_HDR.jpg
0806221446b_HDR.jpg

your fairy house looks like a strawberry planter to me.
I bet it was heavy ?
today I started the lawn mower up and adjusted the carb. I got it to idle down to a point where it sounds like it is not going to fire again,,,but it keeps on ticking..
Actually, the walls of the second story were too thin. I can see where a person could plant strawberries in the windows.

And this is what the lawnmowing was about -- the battle reenactment day.

I was demonstrating my tape loom, which weaves narrow strips of material that were very important parts of daily life in the 18th century.

Women's clothing was held together with tapes and pins, men had laces in the back of their breeches's waistbands, they were used for garters to hold up your stockings, and for tying anything that needed tying from feed sacks to bundles of sticks.

View attachment 3215031View attachment 3215032View attachment 3215039
That's cool!

that is interesting, when were buttons invented ?

Men used more buttons but parts of their clothing had tape ties as well. Particularly, the waistbands of the breeches were made in two parts and laced together in the back -- allowing for changes in size.

Women have a tendency to change size a lot -- pregnancy, etc. -- and buttons are unforgiving. Unlike today, clothing was hard to make and expected to last for years (sometimes remade into more current styles), so it needed to adjust to changing figures and even to being handed down from person to person.

Men used more buttons but parts of their clothing had tape ties as well. Particularly, the waistbands of the breeches were made in two parts and laced together in the back -- allowing for changes in size.

Women have a tendency to change size a lot -- pregnancy, etc. -- and buttons are unforgiving. Unlike today, clothing was hard to make and expected to last for years (sometimes remade into more current styles), so it needed to adjust to changing figures and even to being handed down from person to person.
Ha, not that long ago people didn't have a closet full of clothes.
when I was a kid I was...um overweight, still am but not as much.... and wore my brother's old clothes at home he's 12 years older. I had to wear dresses or skirts to school until highschool. I had 1 dress and 2 skirts at a time. Yes kids made fun of me, built character LOL...

My grandmothers both got one new dress each year when they were growing up. That was their "good" dress - for church and special occasions. Last year's "good" dress was this year's school dress. Last year's school dress was this year's house dress. Last year's house dress was this year's chores/work dress. They worked in the house dress too, just at the things that weren't as hard on clothes.

No one made fun of them, though, because most people around them did the same thing.

I didn't think to ask how the clothes fit growing children for that many years. Maybe they did something like my nieces - A was two years older than B. They had friends who were sisters, one year younger than A, and one year younger than B. Many of their clothes were worn by all four girls.

Or, I know clothes were made to be "let out".. things like wide seam allowances that could be resown narrower, and extra tucks, gathering, smocking that could be snipped out. Doubled snaps or buttons sometimes.

It almost makes me feel guilty for having a surplus of shirts. many of them I haven't worn for years. I never get to the bottom of the drawer.
I had two brothers, when we got to our teen years, we were all about the same size. if we wanted extra clothes, we could earn money and buy them for ourselves.
we got a new pair of shoes when school started. got a pair of tennis shoes for gym class. after school was out for summer, the tennis shoes became our summer shoes. by the end of summer our toes were hanging out the sides of the shoes.
we wore four buckle goulashes up until jr high, when it was not "cool" anymore.

Back
Top Bottom