The manufacturer of the metal roofing on Neuchickenstein sold appropriate self-tapping screws along with the roofing specifically for installing it on wood purlins.

If I understand correctly, the key thing is to have the screws at the correct length for whatever it is they're being screwed to so as to hold firmly.
I googled Neuchickenstien and came across your article on hot weather builds...wow. I really enjoyed that!

Now I'm wondering why human house builds don't use more of that in hot areas. I wonder if a house was built to release the heat that builds in the rafters if it'd be more economical in hot areas.

I googled Neuchickenstien and came across your article on hot weather builds...wow. I really enjoyed that!

Now I'm wondering why human house builds don't use more of that in hot areas. I wonder if a house was built to release the heat that builds in the rafters if it'd be more economical in hot areas.

Well, we humans like to heat our houses in the winter. ;)

Old houses in hot areas were built with high ceilings and lots of windows to create a crossbreeze. New houses are built for AC.

Well, we humans like to heat our houses in the winter. ;)

Old houses in hot areas were built with high ceilings and lots of windows to create a crossbreeze. New houses are built for AC.
Except for my hubby...lol. We really don't need much heat here though and colds easier to deal with then heat.

I haven't read all the posts yet but wanted to add my two cents on screws/nails.

I use structural screws for framing. They have a hex head and come with the bit in the box. They hold forever. I've been removing and reusing ones from a structure I built ten years ago. No rust on them. (I'm in a dry climate..maybe they rust in wet areas?) Ten years of use and they're still strong and easy to drive.

For non-structural work I use drywall screws with a course thread. They don't strip easy and go in well.

For metal roof over metal (like a metal roof installed over a dog kennel, carport or something like that) I use self drilling metal screws. Was told they shouldn't be used for metal over wood so I've never tried that, but for metal on metal they make the job easy and hold forever.

My kid just got me my first impact driver and explained how they work and when to use it...lol. I'm excited to try it...but the above screws work great with a regular drill and have become my go to screws for how long they last, how easy they are to drive and to remove if needed.
Those drivers are the bomb! I love mine!

Back
Top Bottom