Helpful toxic plant list (with pictures) for ducks

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
I found this website that lists toxic native plants to livestock, which I was able to filter down specific to ducks and North America.

https://opensanctuary.org/article/the-open-sanctuary-projects-global-toxic-plant-database/

I don't know if this has been shared before, but it was super helpful to me. I am in the process of building an approximately 7'x12' pond for our ducks and I wanted transplant some native plants from the creek/marsh that runs through our property. Glad I found out cardinal flower was a no-no.

Now I just to figure out what the ducks won't completely decimate within a month.

Thanks for the link! Very helpful.

One thing not on it was Cypress Vine (Ipomoea quamoclit), it's NOT the same as Morning Glory. My ducks LOVE it so hope it's safe. My Hummers & Hummingbird Moths are going be mad they're destroying one of their favorite flowers.

My ducks seem to know what is good & what is bad. They never touch the Morning Glory or 4 O'clock's. They might taste something then realize it's not safe to eat.
s5_100-9510-c.JPG

I found this website that lists toxic native plants to livestock, which I was able to filter down specific to ducks and North America.

https://opensanctuary.org/article/the-open-sanctuary-projects-global-toxic-plant-database/

I don't know if this has been shared before, but it was super helpful to me. I am in the process of building an approximately 7'x12' pond for our ducks and I wanted transplant some native plants from the creek/marsh that runs through our property. Glad I found out cardinal flower was a no-no.

Now I just to figure out what the ducks won't completely decimate within a month.
I also made a thread about toxic plants for chickens, if you want to check that out. poisonous-plants

Thanks for the link! Very helpful.

One thing not on it was Cypress Vine (Ipomoea quamoclit), it's NOT the same as Morning Glory. My ducks LOVE it so hope it's safe. My Hummers & Hummingbird Moths are going be mad they're destroying one of their favorite flowers.

My ducks seem to know what is good & what is bad. They never touch the Morning Glory or 4 O'clock's. They might taste something then realize it's not safe to eat.
View attachment 2836509
I noticed that the flock doesn’t eat flowers either.

And wouldn't you know for the 2 months I've had my ducks they never ate the 4 O'clocks. When I checked on them shortly after posting my previous reply, there they were munching on the leaves. One even jumping up to get to the them.

They can't be hungry because I took their dinner out to them & they ate some of it.

Is it possible as the leaves or plants get older they lose their toxicity? I'm not sure what I'm going to because the whole side of the stairs from back porch are lined with 4 O'clocks. And they self-seed so easy. And the hummers & hummer moth love them too.

What symptoms should I look for if they've been poisoned?

EDIT: I noticed 4 O'clocks (mirabilis jalapa) is not on that list but I've seen it mentioned on several sites as being toxic to ducks.

Back
Top Bottom