helping a chick out of shell that has not pipped

I know this thread is about helping a chick out of the egg, which I do on occasion. If you have to do it be careful and moisten the membrane with a wet Q-tip and stop if it starts to bleed. I also notice some folks advise to set the temp in the LG's to 102 if not using the optional fan kit. The instructions provided with the incubators state 99.5 and the thermometers have a line marked at that temp. I just try and maintain the temp somewhere between the two and keep the water troughs filled and usually get a decent hatch.

hi i am new to back yard chickens but not new to chickens,ducks turkeys quail. i have at one time help quail out when they did not hatch on the day they should of.i had 10 bob white that didn't hatch out of the 10 i decided to help 3 where all ready dead 4 made it and 3 died.i don't know luck i guess.but helping sometimes what can it hurt
hmm.png

How did the hatch go? I'm on day 22 and wondering if I should add wet towels or sponges like you talked about.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Ok I'm curious how did it go? I used the LG this time around and without the fan, I kept it at the temp the thermometer provided and made sure the room temp did not fluctuate. I had 10 eggs, 8 survived and I had to assist all but 1 or 2. One hatched on it's own for sure I can't remember about the 2nd. I did what one of the previous posters mentioned if there was any bleeding I had a warm towel and held the chick firmly stopped it and rubbed them lots and put them right backin the bator. The two I lost upsets me because they were peeping (chirping) and rocking the egg on day 22 with everyone else but they never pipped (made a hole in the egg) so in essence they drown. Beautiful chicks when I opened the eggs yesterday. It is a personal decision but if you are going to do it just do it, do not keep opening the bator like everyone is saying that makes the humidity drop drastically. If you have candled and know where the air sac is if you are going to commit and be prepared and do it. It's your choice. All of my 8 babies are just fine, not weak, not deformed, not aggressive they are just cute little chicks!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom