Helping chickens adjust to run after free range.. :(

chantald

Songster
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Mid/UpState NY's Hudson Valley
To sum it up, my neighbor is complaining that my chickens are wandering in his yard. To be fair, they are.. all my other neighbors love the chickens.. not this.. person.. who arrived at my door today and demanded I "do something" or he was going to shoot them all..

nice...

So, I am keeping them in their run for their safety until we can come up with a solution that allows them free roam (to eat the ticks) and not go into his yard.. a fence comes to mind but it's winter.. and 1000 feet of 8 ft tall fence is going to be $$$

There is no way to "make nice" to this person.. he is not interested in anything but his way. And he would shoot the chickens too.. he practices his rifle with slugs in his back yard (in violation of local ordances) within 500 of homes.. and when I mentioned that he said it was his "right"

So..back to my question.. how do I help my chickens adjust to being caged.. There are 10 hens of standard size and 1 bantam roo, 2 young pullets of about 15 weeks of age and one bantam hen of the same age.. Thankfuly the babies (of which there are 9) are no where ready to join them.. as I'd have a problem with #'s and space..
sad.png
sad.png

They have a run about 10 by 12 feet.. and a coop that is 8 by 10 feet.

Grrrr-well I guess to each his own, but he doesn't have to shoot them! My bantam hens always hate when I start locking them up after they have been free range for a while. A few have been so vocal about it that I rehomed them to free range homes.
Why does the fence have to be 8ft? Flying?

wow, your chickens are going to hate that! Mine start squawking very loudly whenever I restrict them from free ranging...they are spoiled....

I had the same situation only the person who threatened my chickens is married to my aunt.
rant.gif
I have them penned in and it took a few weeks till they stopped making a run for the door when I came in but they dont seem to mind. If you feel bad for them maybe you could let them out a little just before bed time. I know mine go in for the night about 4:30 so if I wanted to I might let them out around 3:30 or 4, mine dont have far to go to get across the road. If you think it would take them a while to get there you may try earier. I was planning on letting them out some after a few weeks unfortunately winter came on fast and hard here and its too cold for us to be out with them. They also have a big run which helps, about 12x10 for 6 chickens. I also bought 5'x50' coated welded wire fence at Home Depot for $62 and plan to extend the run even further for them.

Last edited:
sigh
I know they are going to hate that.. and yes.. they do fly.. so I guess the fence has to be tall.. right?

It really stinks.. we got them to eat ticks.. I called the town hall and made sure I followed all the requirements..there is no law preventing them from roaming or owning a rooster, I even made sure my coop was within the requirements for size and location from property lines.. Offered eggs to neighbors (not this guy, not interested)

They only started going into his yard this past month.. and I've had them since last April..

anyway.. I'm hoping I can find a solution..in the spring.. but until then I need to keep them caged. I don't want him to shoot them.. Although DH says chickens are livestock and he thinks that it is illegal to shoot non predatory livestock...moot point.. as this guy wouldn't care about the "law"

so.. how to make them "comfortable"?

Maybe keep them occupied by putting cabbages above their heads for something to do, put outdoor roosts in the run & put leaves in the run to scratch around in. Just some thoughts. Maybe u could do a search on "boredom" for better suggestions than I just mentioned though.
smile.png

Just for spite I'd leave him a dozen eggs on his door stop!
lol.png
You'd probably rather
smack.gif
though. Maybe he'd lighten up, who knows. At least you will have tried to apologize by giving him some eggs.

Quote:
It's tempting.. but we /do/ try and be nice and not make "Trouble".. He is one of the last "old timers" on the road. Most of the other homes have been sold to younger families after their owners passed away or moved on..

anyway.. The leaves are a good suggestion. I'll do that when it warms a bit (it's barely 25 now brr) and look up bordom,

I'm worried my run is not adequate for the # I have.. it wasn't designed with keeping them all caged in all the time..

sigh

the "guy" is in the right,, and he shouldnt HAVE to have someone elses animals in his yard,,,, and he has the right to do "whatever" to keep them out,, just like you all would say about his dog comming in your yards. We try so hard to get dog owners to keep their chicken eating dogs on THEIR own property,,, the same should go for EVERYONE. If i had someone elses birds on MY property, and i gave them a warning,, i would for sure shoot them,, but of course i have my own birds,, so shooting "other" birds are from a safety point of view.

your birds will get used to their pen,, it may take them a week or so,, but they'll get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom