Helping ducklings

Pics

Thefurniturefarm

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2020
SE FLORIDA
My humidity was most definitely off. I have three more babies that are still in their eggs. After seeing the guy that I had to help struggle I opened up one of the eggs and sure enough they were shrink wrapped. I got a hole in the membrane and all can breath but I’m not sure what to do now. How do I know if they are ready to come out and if I need to help them?? Inner pep was 48 hours ago this evening. Should I try and help them? There’s no way they’re getting out on their own and I’m just scared.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 23
its 99 degrees in the cooler. sadly, when I found these eggs, we were in the middle of a cold front and my Great Dane hoped the fence twice in one day to scare mama duck out of her nest behind our house and the next morning she didn't come back so I took them in. The temperature has been consistent, this is my first time ever hatching anything and I've been learning literally one day at a time. I read if they are shrink wrapped to put them in a paper towel with a baggie over it with their beaks out so they can still breathe so that's what I've done. I'll definitely add some water in a dish with a sponge. Two of them of the three have been making ALOT of noise today and wiggling but still some yawning and chewing here and there, so how do I determine when those guys are completely ready? I guess after I candle them when it gets dark ill go from there! Thank you so much for your help.

i will definitely do more pictures in the next 4/5 hours. I have been doing so much research and so many different sources say things & one that I read said that sometimes when they are dry the veins will still show on the membrane. But I’ll leave the one still in the membrane intact and just let them rest for now. It’s so insane! Lol Thanks!! Like I said it’s my first time so any pictures I can try to take to figure out what’s going on with them to help them I will!!! 😂 the other one i had to assist yesterday evening still hasn’t started walking but he’s been trying and cleaning himself. His shell was so dry. I felt horrible, but his umbilical cord was still swollen it’s gone down. And then three days ago I had my first inner pep and he hatched fine and is insane! So I’m hoping the little guy is walking by tomorrow and the others will hatch so buddy has a friend and isn’t obsessed with me completely lol.

If you put your duckling in a cup or small dish he'll want out and he may gain use of his legs better. You don't have to do it, but it usually helps. You're doing great ;)
Should I put the dish in his area with a hand towel in it and then him in it? He just keeps whaling those legs and screaming

Also, this isn't necessary, but pics are always great :D I miss my little duckie babies. I can't wait for more this spring
Should I try a solo cup? He fits like perfectly in this bowl.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 6E1E44F3-7222-4FC5-9820-2C3EE69C675B.jpeg
    6E1E44F3-7222-4FC5-9820-2C3EE69C675B.jpeg
    816.9 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 6
Just try to keep his legs under him. Can you offer him some water every hour or so with nutrridrench in it? That would really help. I think the bowl is fine. Keep the temp around 90-95 degrees so he doesn't overheat.

Just try to keep his legs under him. Can you offer him some water every hour or so with nutrridrench in it? That would really help. I think the bowl is fine. Keep the temp around 90-95 degrees so he doesn't overheat.
I’ve been giving him sugar water is that OK or should I go and get Pedialyte or something

Back
Top Bottom