Helping ducklings

Pics

Thefurniturefarm

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2020
SE FLORIDA
My humidity was most definitely off. I have three more babies that are still in their eggs. After seeing the guy that I had to help struggle I opened up one of the eggs and sure enough they were shrink wrapped. I got a hole in the membrane and all can breath but I’m not sure what to do now. How do I know if they are ready to come out and if I need to help them?? Inner pep was 48 hours ago this evening. Should I try and help them? There’s no way they’re getting out on their own and I’m just scared.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 23
I would candle the pointy end of the egg in a dark room. Usually there is a small reddish space in there. When they are ready to hatch it will be clear. Also, see if you can see any veins. If there are any, they're not ready

Also, if you watch their bills, they do a movement that looks like a yawn. It encourages their yolk absorption. They won't yawn anymore when they're ready. Try to keep humidity around 65 percent

Also, if you watch their bills, they do a movement that looks like a yawn. It encourages their yolk absorption. They won't yawn anymore when they're ready. Try to keep humidity around 65 percent
Okay great. Yes I’ve seen them yawning and such. I have them in a cooler with a heating pad at the bottom. I don’t even know what the humidity is that’s why I’m so nervous. I live in Florida so it’s humid here but definitely not exactly what they need I just want them to be healthy and not in pain from the shrink wrap. I will candle the pointy end this evening of the three in the shells and go from there. If it is clear then I should attempt to help them out? Ones foot is behind its head too...

I'm pretty sure their feet are supposed to be behind their head. If they're still yawning they're not ready yet. Do you know what temperature it is in there? Have you incubated them in there all along? Just watch them really close, they might start to make noise when they're ready. If you take a Q-tip and run it under a little warm water, you can gently "paint" the membrane and then you should be able to see through it better. You can also put a dish of warm water with a sponge in their to put off humidity. Keep updating :)

its 99 degrees in the cooler. sadly, when I found these eggs, we were in the middle of a cold front and my Great Dane hoped the fence twice in one day to scare mama duck out of her nest behind our house and the next morning she didn't come back so I took them in. The temperature has been consistent, this is my first time ever hatching anything and I've been learning literally one day at a time. I read if they are shrink wrapped to put them in a paper towel with a baggie over it with their beaks out so they can still breathe so that's what I've done. I'll definitely add some water in a dish with a sponge. Two of them of the three have been making ALOT of noise today and wiggling but still some yawning and chewing here and there, so how do I determine when those guys are completely ready? I guess after I candle them when it gets dark ill go from there! Thank you so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom