Helping IDing color on two call drakes!

SilverPhoenix

Bantam Fanatic
10 Years
Dec 15, 2009
Penn Valley, CA
I have two call drakes, and their colors are a bit confusing. In both cases, the people they came from didn't know their colors, and while I've done some research on call duck colors, I'm certainly not an expert!

I believe Autor is pastel? Just wanted some more opinions on that, though he certainly appears to be pastel to me.

DSC02078.jpg

While wet:

DSC02113.jpg

And Mytho, who I suspect may not be a named color at all. His head seems like that of a black duck, but he's not black, he's dark brown. He's pretty whatever color he is.

DSC02119.jpg

They're just my pets, please no critiques on type.
smile.png

I'm not really sure on the first one.. Could be Blue Fawn, Pastel, ButterScotch.. I have no idea.

The second one is a Black Bibbed and I have to say he is so cute! I want!
love.gif

ETA: Mytho is a Maute Black Bibbed. He just has more brown than black in him.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Oh, I just looked up Maute Black-Bibbed and that seems to be right! How cool, I've never heard of that color in all my call duck color perusing. He's definitely mostly brown instead of black, so it's interesting! Thanks for your help.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Oh, I just looked up Maute Black-Bibbed and that seems to be right! How cool, I've never heard of that color in all my call duck color perusing. He's definitely mostly brown instead of black, so it's interesting! Thanks for your help.
big_smile.png

Your welcome!
smile.png

All the stuff I have learned about call ducks has came from easttxchick. She's a very nice lady!
smile.png

Thanks, Waldo!
wink.png

I believe your first picture is a pastel drake. Is the underside of his tail that gray(like his head)?
They're too cute.
smile.png

Quote:
big_smile.png

Black can bleach out and go to brown, especially if the duck has been out a lot this summer. Sometimes black can fade anyway.
smile.png

Thanks, everyone! I figured he is pastel, but it's nice to hear confirmation that I was right!

And I didn't know black can fade! That's interesting. I don't think he faded, I got him as a young bird last January and he was this color all along, so I think it's likely genetic. I like it, though! One of his girls is an actual black bibbed, so they make a cute couple.

Back
Top Bottom