Helping potentially stranded people.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LittleChickenLady, Dec 3, 2011.

1. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    Have you ever driven by someone who is stopped on the side of the road, and then thought to yourself, "I hope everything's okay.. maybe I should go back and see.." but then you don't?

I always think that I should stop and help, but end up talking myself out of it. I'm not a huge person, so I always have the thought, "what if they try to attack me?" but then again I'd want someone to help me if I were stranded, especially at night.

I always just tell myself that they probably have a cell phone and have everything under control.. but then it eats at me for the longest time.

Am I wrong for not helping?

[​IMG]

2. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    No you could be putting yourself in danger you don't know what could happen,but then again i would also want someone to help me

3. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    I dont think its wrong. Im a smaller woman (Almost 5ft even) and I dont dare stop. There are so many things that could go wrong. I mean I might stop long enough to see if everything is ok. But my doors are locked and all windows except one is up. No rides or anything. Most of the time I wont even stop. so dont feel like your doing something wrong because in todays world nothing is safe anymore. [​IMG]

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I do the same thing. The other night there was a car in the ditch. Thankfully the car behind me pulled over. I feel terrible anytime I don't stop but it just isn't safe anymore. I do call the police if I have a cell with me.

5. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I did stop last week for someone, she was very grateful. I used to do it all the time, back when I was young and immortal. I have grown up and learned a few things - sometimes the hard way.

Nowadays, I no longer pick up hitch-hikers, I usually don't pull over for a stranded vehicle unless I am not alone in the car and then, only if it's daylight and nothing feels 'hinkey.' I will call the police as I pass by something that feels/looks off.

I understand you feeling badly for not stopping, but who will stop for you if something bad happens when you do stop? I know it's a terrible way to be, but the way things are going now, it's self preservation. There is nothing wrong with calling the police if you think there is a problem, though. That may be an option for you.

6. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I recently moved to a rural community, a town of about 2,000 people. I love it here, I feel safe here, and just the other day I was coming home (at night) and saw someone stopped along side the road. One headlight was out and I could tell they had hit a deer. I kept going for a while and then thought, "You know what? I wonder if they're ok. Maybe I should go back and check."

I turned around but by the time I got back to where they were, the vehicle was gone. I pulled over anyways to check on the deer. I cannot tell you HOW many times I have had to get out and finish off a deer because someone just kept on going. I may be a hunter/trapper, but that doesn't mean I like to see animals suffer. The deer was dead, in this case.

Now, in my hometown- a town of about 30,000 people, I wouldn't go near a situation like that. I work in the ER there, I know what kind of crazy lurkes there after dark. No way, no how, not happening!

I realize there are risks, even in my small community. In fact, just this spring a deputy was shot and klilled in the line of duty just a few miles from where I live now, but those incidences are few and far between. The majority of the people here seem to live by the old-school farming ways, and as long as that seems to be the general concensus of the people here, I will continue to stop and offer assistance when and where I can.

7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I tend to have a bottle of water in my car for emergencies if I get stranded, if I see someone obviously broken down in the middle of nowhere I stop by them and give them that water, especially if its hot/they have kids with them. I pass it through my car window, no way would I get out or let them in my car lol.

8. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

I've stopped and helped people. Then again, that was in Nevada and I had my concealed carry permit and firearm.

My brother used to help people in Oregon; that ended after a man he knew tried to help some people on the way to a lake not far from Salem and the people tried to kill the Good Samaritan as soon as he was close enough. The Good Samaritan also had a CCW and was able to defend himself. The group he stopped to help were irate because he "didn't play by the rules" and let them kill him.

I'll call for help for people; I'll get out if it is a wrecked car and I carefully scope the area; but no more carrying hitchikers to the gas station or helping them change tires. Anyway, it used to weird stranded families out when this little tiny woman would proceed to instruct and assist them in changing a tire. Benefits of a rural childhood.

9. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    Quote:Don't beat yourself up over this. You can help if you have a cell and call for assistance for the stranded party. Even if they had a cell and already called, your extra call will not have been in vain. You can do this with a 911 call and just say that you are concerned for another person's welfare, it is a courtesy call.

At the risk of being sexist, I would suggest that you ladies not stop for a stranded motorist on the side of the road, especially if you are travelling alone. Call for help, that's what patrolmen are there for.

I'm a fairly big guy and can handle myself pretty well in helping a stranded person, but I still dial 911 and give them a head's up about the situation.

10. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Quote:Not sexist; realistic. The man my brother knows is a pretty big strong guy too; but he wouldn't have been strong enough that day if he'd left his pistol at home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by