Helping the Runt Grow

Pics

OreoH

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
Hi everyone! I have six chicks that are roughly 7 weeks old. One of the chicks, a Buff Brahma, is a runt. She had pasty butt as a young chick and there was a week where she drooled and had no energy. She doesn't seem to be growing as much as the others. The others are probably around 2-3 pounds and she is probably the weight of a block of butter. She is visibly smaller, is fully feathered, and looks like a normal chicken altogether This chick is definitely the lowest in the pecking order and her sisters don't exactly go out of their way to help her. She freaks out when I separate her. I think she gets to eat enough but she gets shoved out of the way when there are supplements and treats. I fed them mash this morning with some herbs and they trapped her under the frisbee I was feeding it out of. Does anyone have any tips on helping her move up in the order, or helping her hold up against her sisters? She is very brave, and she dives in, but she just isn't big enough or strong enough. Thanks!

She may always be small. I might consider pulling her aside once a day and feeding her separately by hand not only for the extra nutrition but the extra attention and taming. Some wetted down chick feed, or scrambled egg or a combo.

Also, I really appreciate all the help. I’m trying to limit treats to a tablespoon per chick every day (should be less than 10 percent of what they eat) and only feeding healthy treats, eggs, oats, and some herbs. I’ll make her some egg and wet feed mash tomorrow.

Also, I really appreciate all the help. I’m trying to limit treats to a tablespoon per chick every day (should be less than 10 percent of what they eat) and only feeding healthy treats, eggs, oats, and some herbs. I’ll make her some egg and wet feed mash tomorrow. They eat about two tubes of feed each day, like the red and white tubes from tractor supply.

Back
Top Bottom