helpp!!!!!! with predators!!!!

Alihbaloch

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Im kind Of scared reading all these posts about predators, ,,
I live in neighbourhood, there is no woods around my house but there are some wood in my neighbourhood, i see rabbits al the time around my house, i have seen cats couple of cats couple times....
My coop is 3 feet tall with both sides all plywood, and front and back with bottom 2 feet of plywood and top foot with chicken wire, bottom is plywood and roof is chicken wire with slanted roof,
I was wondering what can i do to keep anything away from my coop, i will try to put pictures of cooop later, i was thinking of putting hardwire cloth on front and back or nite guard lights or motion sensor lights ,
also i cover the coop with that tarp. but im still scared,
im a highschool student so i want something cheap,
I have 3 barred rocks, 4weeks olds
help is appreciated

Last edited:
I would cover the ventilation spaces and window spaces with hardware cloth rather than chicken wire and make sure that the latch on the door is secure.

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I would cover the ventilation spaces and window spaces with hardware cloth rather than chicken wire and make sure that the latch on the door is secure.

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

how do i attach the hardware cloth to wood? i used staple gun for chicken wire!
i have latches screwed in 2 screws on each latch and at night i little key locks on them

You can attach hardware cloth using washers and screws.

I would imagine that the light would wake your chickens as well, but I have no experience using them as protection.

Locking the latch is a good idea.

You can attach hardware cloth using washers and screws.

I would imagine that the light would wake your chickens as well, but I have no experience using them as protection.

Locking the latch is a good idea.
thanks again for reply.
okay i just got a surgery on my foot so in a week or two i will put the hardware cloth on.
what kind of hardware cloth should i get?
1/2 '?

My coop is a little larger than yours, but you should probably use 1/2" hardware cloth, attached with 'fender' washers and screws. The fender washers are large enough to hold the hardware cloth without risk of tearing. Here is a pic of my construction.

Nice thanks for help everyone
Since i already have chickenwire can i just put hardware cloth on top of it?
What abt the top side, what can i do on top since i have roof screwed in and nailed in how can i put hardware cloth on top?
Or any other suggestions.

You can put the hardware cloth over the chicken wire; you can use 'poultry staples', those are U shaped nails, but use pliers to hold them as you start to nail them in our you'll smash your fingers. (how do I know that???)

The tarp just cuts down on ventilation, it won't slow down raccoons very much.

You can put the hardware cloth over the chicken wire; you can use 'poultry staples', those are U shaped nails, but use pliers to hold them as you start to nail them in our you'll smash your fingers. (how do I know that???)

The tarp just cuts down on ventilation, it won't slow down raccoons very much.

What do you mean it wont slow coons down,
What if i put hardware cloth, will it be racoon proof.

Back
Top Bottom