helpp!!!!!! with predators!!!!

Raccoons could bite and tear through the tarp. They are very strong, dexterous, smart and persistent. Hardware cloth, if firmly attached, will keep them out.

Hardware cloth also allows good ventilation, and the chickens need that. If you seal the coop too much ammonia builds up from their poop and the air becomes poisonous.

I mostly use the 1/2" hardware cloth, I had some 1/4" so I used that in some of the most vulnerable spots.

Raccoons could bite and tear through the tarp. They are very strong, dexterous, smart and persistent. Hardware cloth, if firmly attached, will keep them out.

Hardware cloth also allows good ventilation, and the chickens need that. If you seal the coop too much ammonia builds up from their poop and the air becomes poisonous.

I mostly use the 1/2" hardware cloth, I had some 1/4" so I used that in some of the most vulnerable spots.

If you go back to pictures i only need hardware cloth on front and back (top 1 foot) and maybe top,
I will try to keep my coop clean, by that i mean change the shavings whenever they need to be, i let them out everyday for about 45- 60 mins, i change their water everyday, and feed them left over bread and vegies from my house
And if i put hardware cloth, should i worry about covering them with tarp..?

I have a line of hot-wire at 4, 8 and 16 inches off of the ground when dealing with predators. This deters most predators but it is a pain to work around so I just unplug it as I walk into their area.

I have a line of hot-wire at 4, 8 and 16 inches off of the ground when dealing with predators. This deters most predators but it is a pain to work around so I just unplug it as I walk into their area.

Can you explain it more little bitt?
I dont know much about wires and stuff

Can you explain it more little bitt?
I dont know much about wires and stuff

You'll want to have someone handy help with installation if you decide to go this route. But basically there are different types of 'wire' now. There is the standard wire, nylon rope with wire threads laced through it or various widths of nylon 'tape' (from 1/2 inch to 2.5 inch) with wire threads laced through it. The nylon tape is easier to see for sure but I also believe that because of this it is also easier for a determined predator to work around. I prefer the old standard wire that is less visible, packs a good whallop and doesn't break down in the sun. To install it there are plastic insulators that are nailed or screwed into the wood of the coop at two to four foot intervals all around. You can have one strand or as many as you like. My favorite system for skunks, raccoons, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, dogs and the like was to have three strands at the bottom and a strand at the roof line (for raccoons and bobcats). You can have it as close to an inch from the wall of the coop (or the fencing of the enclosure) or four inches away, depends on the length of insulator that you choose.

There is a good pic here: http://modernhomesteading.ca/blog/poultry-predators-how-to-keep-your-chickens-safe

I hope that is helpful.

They are suggesting using an electric fence charger with the wires to deter any predators attached to the outside of the coop using insulators to mount the wires. Might want to get help with that if you don't understand how. Using the fender washers to attach the hardware cloth should be enough to protect your chicks. I've seen pics here in the forum illustrating how to use them. Might do a search to get a pic. I would suggest use more than you think necessary.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom