Helpppppppppppppppppppppp ! Pheasant going to die! graphic pic

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
Well today I came up to the coop and saw one of my pheasants in with the chickens! one of my hens had blood all over her beak.

She attacked the pheasant.

The pheasant is skinned from the top of its head to below its neck. Also there are many deep cuts and the top of its wing bone is exposed.

heres a pic

owwwwwwwwwwwww-1.jpg

She keep closeing her eyes and is not doing good.

Please help. Ive washed them out and put some h2o2 on them. Then covered with pine tar.

Shes in a dog crate now

Help...

~Bryan

Bryan, it's a tough situation and I honestly don't think she can survive the wounds without a vet. If you can afford a vet, keep her stablized overnight with food, water or Pedialyte and do what you can to keep her alive. Stop with peroxide and pine tar, the damage is more than those things can help.

I wish you the very best- I hope she can make it.
hugs.gif

Keep her warm, keep her clean, and keep her quiet with plenty of fresh food and clean water. You've done all you can...
hugs.gif

Keep her in a warm, quiet place - even if that's inside the house. Use a solution of Betadyne mixed with warm water to clean the area, and coat with an antibiotic ointment. It's very important to keep the wound clean so it will heal properly. Make sure there are no flies or insects around her. It would be good to give her an injectible antibiotic if you have it. She is probably in shock and in pain, so let her rest and try to ply her with some fresh corn or treats like grapes to keep her hydrated. Good Luck, Lynn

sad.png
Though it may come to that. I have 40 more pheasants so its not that big of deal. Cant waste the money on a vet though.

Ill wait till tmw to make my choice about putting her down.

~Bryan

Last edited:
I've not had a wing bone exposed, but the scalped head I have on a pheasant. The head wound should heal fine with a Beadine wash and some antibiotic ointment. Keep in a dark quiet place with food and water.

I had one similair to that..you could actually see her skull and still can. I cleaned mine very thoroughly and sprayed blue coat on her head and gave her antibiotics for a week. She turned out just fine.

Back
Top Bottom