Hen 1 year won't come out of nest fluffed up missing feathers on chest

rhondacarpenter

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 4, 2011
I have a Rhode Island red she is about a year old and a few days ago she stopped leaving the nest. She seemed fine but I simply thought she wanted to sit her eggs. I took the eggs but she has not left the nest. Checked her this morning still int he nest no new eggs vent looks fine but her feathers are all gone on her gullet and chest. She makes a funny growling noise when I get close but lets me touch her. Thoughts? I am going to separate her from the flock. What could be causing this behavior and the feather loss. It doesn't look picked at.

Broody. She has plucked her own feathers, the bare spot is called the brood patch. And just because you take the eggs doesn't mean she'll leave the nest. One of my girls sat on nothing for over a month this spring before throwing in the towel. Move her at night, wait a couple more days, and if she stays broody, give the gal some fertile eggs!

Oh noes! I have a hen with the same virus here. It's horrible I tell you!
roll.png
One of the main causes of multiplication in flocks..The Broody Virus!!!!
lol.png

Give that girl some eggs
tongue.png

Thanks! I just checked her again and she was out of the nest first time in days. I was going to separate her from the flock but I Think I will wait it out. So you are telling me she just wants to be a mommy? Heck I will let her sit eggs if she wants . lol

Yup. They'll stay that way for a few days if they are bent on being mommas.
I have two broody girls right now.
My boyfriend thinks the one is just hilarious because of her raptor like face and voice when she gets grumpy.

Back
Top Bottom