hen abandoned eggs and i dont have incubator, please hurry!

MrsCluckles

Songster
Feb 3, 2021
i have a hen who abandoned 22 eggs and i dont have an incubator, i hooked up a heat lamp right above them and moved them to a box with woodchips and a bowl of water! i have 3 thermometers and 2 hygrometers in their to try to guess humidity and keep temps to 99.5 to 100.5! not sure if they are accurate! will they be okay, some eggs are on day 8 and some are on day 2 of incubation!!

keep temps to 99.5 to 100.5! not sure if they are accurate! will they be okay, some eggs are on day 8 and some are on day 2 of incubation!!
Staggered hatch is never prefered. I (personally) would take out the day 2 eggs.

Correct temperature for still air (no fan) incubation is 101.5- 102. measured at the top of the eggs not on the floor.

SIde note.. I wonder what the temp would be as measured at the floor.

They need turning at least 3+ times per day.. perferebaly odd number of times each day.. Mark "X <----> O" on opposite sides and arrow in the middle.. and roll back and forth between them.. not over and over in the same direction.

Don't close your box up completely.. plenty of air is also important.

Good luck! :fl

Staggered hatch is never prefered. I (personally) would take out the day 2 eggs.

Correct temperature for still air (no fan) incubation is 101.5- 102. measured at the top of the eggs not on the floor.

SIde note.. I wonder what the temp would be as measured at the floor.

They need turning at least 3+ times per day.. perferebaly odd number of times each day.. Mark "X <----> O" on opposite sides and arrow in the middle.. and roll back and forth between them.. not over and over in the same direction.

Don't close your box up completely.. plenty of air is also important.

Good luck! :fl
thank you, i have the eggs in a bin with a heat lamp bulb hanging over the top of them, water in the center and eggs surrounding it! i have 3 therms in their and they all tell me its 101 or 99 so hopefully they will be fine! untill i can get an incubator!

i have a hen who abandoned 22 eggs and i dont have an incubator, i hooked up a heat lamp right above them and moved them to a box with woodchips and a bowl of water! i have 3 thermometers and 2 hygrometers in their to try to guess humidity and keep temps to 99.5 to 100.5! not sure if they are accurate! will they be okay, some eggs are on day 8 and some are on day 2 of incubation!!
I think they will be fine. If you look at my threads then you will see that my incubation process is going well. I'm feeling optimistic about the outcome. How have your own incubation processes been going?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/can-you-incubate-eggs-under-a-heat-lamp.1576910/

Back
Top Bottom