Hen acting broody but not (?)

Oncoming Storm

Crowing
Jun 3, 2019
So I have a hen that doesn’t really leave the barn much because she’s antisocial like that. Nothings wrong with her she just doesn’t like the others. Well she came out today clucking and fluffing up like she’s got chicks with her. She even attacked the others like she was defending babies...but she doesn’t have any. I continuously remove eggs from the nest she frequents.....will this resolve on its own or...?

Sounds pre-broody to me. They can be in quite a temper before they settle down into a nest for a good long (21 day if they hatch) brood. She might also be molting and in a terrible mood from the prickles (check her).

Some hens will become discouraged from brooding by constantly removing the eggs if their brooding hormones aren't very strong. Others, well, not so much. I prefer to use my broodies for the business they were meant for. Many choose the "brood buster" wire cage to allow air circulation to cool them off. Although stubborn ones will simply go back into brooding at the first chance.

It totally depends on the genetic make up of your bird as to how serious into brooding she'll be. Watch her. If she gets serious, she'll be in the nest pretty much 24x7 fluffing and clucking at anything that comes near her. At that point you can decide what to do. Break her...or put some fertile eggs under her.

If you decide to use her for hatching, come back here to the Brooding threads and we'll explain the best way to do it :D

What breed is?

LofMc

Sounds pre-broody to me. They can be in quite a temper before they settle down into a nest for a good long (21 day if they hatch) brood. She might also be molting and in a terrible mood from the prickles (check her).

Some hens will become discouraged from brooding by constantly removing the eggs if their brooding hormones aren't very strong. Others, well, not so much. I prefer to use my broodies for the business they were meant for. Many choose the "brood buster" wire cage to allow air circulation to cool them off. Although stubborn ones will simply go back into brooding at the first chance.

It totally depends on the genetic make up of your bird as to how serious into brooding she'll be. Watch her. If she gets serious, she'll be in the nest pretty much 24x7 fluffing and clucking at anything that comes near her. At that point you can decide what to do. Break her...or put some fertile eggs under her.

If you decide to use her for hatching, come back here to the Brooding threads and we'll explain the best way to do it :D

What breed is?

LofMc
I don’t mind broodiness. I actually just had my astrolorp hatch two chicks from my Turken rooster. I also have a broody duck. Woo everyone in my flock wants babies apparently. We bought her as a mix. As a chick she looked like an astrolorp but grey instead of black. She’s grey and very fluffy. She’s about the size of a broiler but she’s not unhealthy that’s just how she is. She has a bright red comb. I think it’s close to a rosebud comb or something similar. I don’t have a great picture of her :(

Back
Top Bottom