hen acting "funny" - WTH is this?

Thanks. I will do the dust "Gardstar", I saw on here somewhere, where someone dusted theirs with "Seven dust" and the next day it died. May not have been the dust, but it kindof scared me about the "Seven dust". I definately will have to have help though, I've never done this before. Also, I bought some D.E. cause I saw where some folks use this a lot to keep out mites. It says on the bag that you put in in their food. I haven't done that yet because I was going to find out from y'all how to do it properly, and do you put this same stuff that you put in the food, also in their dust bath area? Or is another kind of D.E.? And I was going to put some Gardstar dust in the dust bath area also, and when y'all say "wood ashes", are you talking about literal ashes from burning wood in the wood heater, cause we do have that.
idunno.gif

Last time I had a rooster with a bad case of scaly leg mites, I soaked his legs every day in epsom salts and warm water and a little Dawn dish soap, then rinse, before applying the petroleum jelly. I read somewhere that the epsom salts help to kill the scaly leg mites, and it did seem to help, plus it reduced the inflammation. He seemed to enjoy his leg soaks too.

Harry, I was wondering the same thing about the ash. We have burn piles (some with just wood, others with other stuff) and I was wondering if I could just to scoop it up and put it in the coop (the piles with only wood, of course).

My hen didn't make it - I discovered she was egg bound also. What can I wash the birds in to get the clutches of eggs off the feathers??? I can't take them to a show like this - even if the lice are dead - it's disgusting
sickbyc.gif
and I'm sure a judge would not like it. They don't just brush off - it's kinda like glue.

Harry, I was wondering the same thing about the ash. We have burn piles (some with just wood, others with other stuff) and I was wondering if I could just to scoop it up and put it in the coop (the piles with only wood, of course).

My hen didn't make it - I discovered she was egg bound also. What can I wash the birds in to get the clutches of eggs off the feathers??? I can't take them to a show like this - even if the lice are dead - it's disgusting
sickbyc.gif
and I'm sure a judge would not like it. They don't just brush off - it's kinda like glue.
Wood ashes will work, I wouldn't put it in the coop though; just in case the fine dust affects their respiratory system. Make sure the ashes are cool before letting the chickens get to them. Chickens love to dust bathe and scratch in them.

Here's an article about washing your bird: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/spa-days-for-chickens

Last edited:

sickbyc.gif

So sorry about your hen.
sad.png
In some places like pet stores I have seen them sell shampoo for birds. That's what I would try, go there and tell them what you are trying to do. They should have some idea what to use, since cage birds can have the same problems. As far as the ashes, yes, we just use plain wood ash. From our woodburner and fireplace, we have plenty. I noticed today that the chooks have decided that the ash is pretty nice to dust in.

sickbyc.gif
I'm so sorry about your hen. I had a Dominique hen die from that a while back, I was so sad. I didn't know that was what her problem was, and didn't know about this site at the time. I probably could have saved her had I known about this site

Vickir, I will try this one more time. Don't seem to be able to post for some reason. Anyway, I was wondering if you could use one of those flea combs for dogs & cats, to remove the lice eggs? I use one on my little dog that is allergic to flea & tick stuff, it works great, it picks up fleas and those little black things (eggs?). Just don't know if it would work for chickens, I guess it would depend on the type of feathers and wether she would sit for it. I don't know, it might pull too much, unless you could loosen them up with something.
idunno.gif

Vickir, I will try this one more time. Don't seem to be able to post for some reason. Anyway, I was wondering if you could use one of those flea combs for dogs & cats, to remove the lice eggs? I use one on my little dog that is allergic to flea & tick stuff, it works great, it picks up fleas and those little black things (eggs?). Just don't know if it would work for chickens, I guess it would depend on the type of feathers and wether she would sit for it. I don't know, it might pull too much, unless you could loosen them up with something.
idunno.gif
I haven't read through the whole thread but saw this in the post list:

I just wanted to tell you Harry that unrefined coconut oil (warmed) has been stated on BYC to dissolve lice nits over time, like say a week, after you kill all the bugs and retreat to kill the hatching eggs. Others trim feathers to get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom