Hen acting like a rooster.

Joe1962

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
My girls have been with out a rooster for a couple of months due to a weasel attack. The boss hen has started crowing and mounting the other hens and pullets. Is this normal? I have 7 new chicks almost ready to start introducing. I'm pretty sure at least two of them are roosters. Will she straiten up once she realizes there is a rooster again?

I can't answer the rooster part of your query but I have an all hen flock & my top girl occasionally crows. It is perfectly normal when there is no rooster.

My girls have been with out a rooster for a couple of months due to a weasel attack. The boss hen has started crowing and mounting the other hens and pullets. Is this normal? I have 7 new chicks almost ready to start introducing. I'm pretty sure at least two of them are roosters. Will she straiten up once she realizes there is a rooster again?

Yes, it's normal for a hen or the alpha hen to assume the top position in the absence of a rooster. They can grow, mount the other hens and take on other responsibilities of a rooster such as keeping watch. When a member or in your case a top member dies the pecking order changes and someone will fill that position. In your case since you do not have any other roosters it is a hen who assumes the position of a "rooster". They may mount the hens but rest assured they are not able to fertilize any eggs. The hen that takes top position will also stop laying eggs and focus on her duty, so don't be surprised by that.

Your flock is acting normal, they are just filling in the gaps where needed.

If she respects the rooster she'll maintain her top hen title, but give the rooster job to the rooster; If she doesn't respect him (when he's mature, of course), then she may or may not secede. Usually these things work themselves out when a mature rooster is in the flock. You're blessed that she's 'stepped up to the plate', promising her flockmates that she's there and will protect them.

It's not exactly 'normal' but it happens.;)
It should straighten itself out once your suspected cockerels mature.
Some photographs of the senior hen trying to mate with the juniors would be an asset for the site. I don't think there are any.

Shes a good hen. Always brings the flock to me looking for a treat. I have not seen a drop in egg production yet.

It's not exactly 'normal' but it happens.;)
It should straighten itself out once your suspected cockerels mature.
Some photographs of the senior hen trying to mate with the juniors would be an asset for the site. I don't think there are any.
Next time I see it happening I will try to get a pick and post it. She clearly shows her mommy parts when she does it. I also have a broody hen that is now trying to sit on unfirtile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom