Hen Acting Off and Corners of Mouth look Odd

How old is she? Do you know when she last laid? That could be lash material, but it doesn't look like what I've typically seen, it looks more tissue like. Have you looked inside her beak and throat as best you can to see if there is more gunk visible?

I have a bottle of fish zole that should arrive tomorrow but in the mean time I've been calling around to see if I can get it sooner. One of the feed stores near me suggested I try acidified copper sulfate. Could that help?

I have a bottle of fish zole that should arrive tomorrow but in the mean time I've been calling around to see if I can get it sooner. One of the feed stores near me suggested I try acidified copper sulfate. Could that help?
The they have Acidified Copper Sulfate that is labeled for use in livestock? If they do, yes, you can try that to see if helps. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon Acidified Copper Sulfate to 1 gallon of water for 3 days.

The they have Acidified Copper Sulfate that is labeled for use in livestock? If they do, yes, you can try that to see if helps. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon Acidified Copper Sulfate to 1 gallon of water for 3 days.

Yeah the manager there suggested it as I wait for the fish zole and confirmed that it was acidified and not the stuff used for plants.

Once the zole arrives, do you know if it's safe to use both?

Last edited:
How is her beak looking—is there any increase of the material inside or outside her beak? Could you place her in a dog crate with her own food and water, near the chickens outside? It is kind of nice to leave them with the flock, so she doesn’t get picked on later. If she has canker, then the others probably have been exposed already.

How is her beak looking—is there any increase of the material inside or outside her beak? Could you place her in a dog crate with her own food and water, near the chickens outside? It is kind of nice to leave them with the flock, so she doesn’t get picked on later. If she has canker, then the others probably have been exposed already.

I did notice 1-2 bumps on the right side of her mouth. Nothing much on the outside. I didn't quite see anything on the roof of her mouth or toward her throat.

She is in a kennel with her own food and treated water on the patio so I can definitely move the kennel out by the coop or something.

Last edited:

*update*
I moved the kennel out there and yeah, if the others have probably been exposed already, then I do wonder if I should just let her roam freely especially because all the water dishes have the solution.

The left side where the first bump was hasn't changed, no more no less.

New photos. The bumps are hard to see because of her salvia but no sight of other material in or outside the beak. Breath still kinda smelly.

20190806_192533.jpg 20190806_193221.jpg 20190806_193414.jpg 20190806_193211.jpg 20190806_193157.jpg
She still has the desire to get out and forage with the others.

Back
Top Bottom