Hen acting strange! Standing in one place not sure what to do

audrey_jones

Hatching
May 31, 2017
I've noticed that my nearly four year old Rhode Island Red has been standing in one spot, not moving for most of the day.
Yesterday was when I first noticed that her unusual behavior. She had a ton of poop stuck in her feathers, some of it was this weird greenish stuff I've never seen before, I was trimming it out and I realized that she'd kinda been in the same spot all day. I gave her and my other chicken, who is doing fine, some sunflower seeds and yogurt and she hardly ate any! It's not too hot out, the high has been in the 80s and low 90s, so I'm not quite sure what it is that is causing this.
She's our first hen so most of the problems we encounter are new and unusual but this one has really gotten to me because she's usually so spirited! If you have any ideas as to what is causing this or any further questions please let me know. I'm going to keep her isolated and see if she drinks or eats and see if there is blood in her poop, but other than that I really don't know what to do or even what's wrong.

When a normally active, spirited hen suddenly goes mute and stands around in one spot, usually on the outskirts of activity, often facing a wall or corner with tail held low and flat, it's a sign of a sick hen.

The greenish poop is a sign she isn't eating much. The green is bile, but she may have a bacterial infection. Sometimes a chicken will recover on its own, but I usually start a chicken with these symptoms on an antibiotic.

It's going to be difficult to impossible to diagnose her further. She could have gotten into something spoiled and it made her sick or she could be egg bound or even suffering from egg peritonitis.

I can say she's sick, and it's not just some behavior quirk.

These are capsules. The kind you put in water requires a prescription. I give a 250mg dose once a day or divide the 250mg capsule in half and give it in the morning and evening. Your choice. The course of treatment is seven to ten days. I do ten days to be sure.

I've noticed that my nearly four year old Rhode Island Red has been standing in one spot, not moving for most of the day.
Yesterday was when I first noticed that her unusual behavior. She had a ton of poop stuck in her feathers, some of it was this weird greenish stuff I've never seen before, I was trimming it out and I realized that she'd kinda been in the same spot all day. I gave her and my other chicken, who is doing fine, some sunflower seeds and yogurt and she hardly ate any! It's not too hot out, the high has been in the 80s and low 90s, so I'm not quite sure what it is that is causing this.
She's our first hen so most of the problems we encounter are new and unusual but this one has really gotten to me because she's usually so spirited! If you have any ideas as to what is causing this or any further questions please let me know. I'm going to keep her isolated and see if she drinks or eats and see if there is blood in her poop, but other than that I really don't know what to do or even what's wrong.
I don't have an answer for you - I guess there could be many causes - but I used to have a chicken that would stand and stare at me. For hours. Coincided with me having lots of jobs to do in the garden, and this thing would just stand and watch. I now suspect she was just getting older, and also her chums in the flock had passed on, which is what happened to her. Otherwise, she seemed perfectly healthy.

When a normally active, spirited hen suddenly goes mute and stands around in one spot, usually on the outskirts of activity, often facing a wall or corner with tail held low and flat, it's a sign of a sick hen.

The greenish poop is a sign she isn't eating much. The green is bile, but she may have a bacterial infection. Sometimes a chicken will recover on its own, but I usually start a chicken with these symptoms on
What kind of antibiotic would you recommend? I have her isolated from our other chicken and I've given her medicated feed mixed with some mealworms, and I put a tablet of life-lytes (a vitamin and electrolyte supplement) into her water
Also, I don't believe that she's egg bound or has egg peritonitis because she's been laying everyday and they've been normal, healthy looking eggs.

A broad spectrum antibiotic such as penicillin or amoxicillin are what I use when the symptoms are ambiguous. You can call a vet and get them that way or go on line and order them. I get mine from kvsupply.com. They're sold as Aqua-Mox and Aqua-Pen respectively.

Hello Audrey. I know your post was a few years ago, but my hen is doing the same thing. She is Dark Brahma and will be 2 years old in June. Can you tell me if this antibiotic helped? And if you ever found out what was wrong with her?

Hello Audrey. I know your post was a few years ago, but my hen is doing the same thing. She is Dark Brahma and will be 2 years old in June. Can you tell me if this antibiotic helped? And if you ever found out what was wrong with her?
We are too:( She was perfectly healthy and now is showing the signs as stated above.

Back
Top Bottom