Hen acting weird during recovery

Jun 27, 2019
Hi all. My 15 month old hen got bumblefoot. I took her to the vet and got the scam removed and got it all cleaned up. She is on meds and we dress and re-wrap the the wound once per day. Today is day 5 that Murphy has been in the house seperated from the rest of her flock (4 other hens 1 rooster). Today I notced Murphy seems just...depressed or something. She is just standing in one spot, occasionally walking around and finding a new place to stand. She had a normal appetite but I havent seen her eat at all today, although I've been at work most of the day. The days prior to today she was eating normally and eating treats. Today she wont touch kale, spinich, apples, blueberries....not even MEALWORMS!!! She was eating those things yesterday though. During the other days there were some moments of the day that she was slow-moving like she is now but she usually perks back up. Especially when I bring in one of the other hen's for a few hours for a little visit. But today I brought in another hen and she still hasnt perked back up. She's on med's and took them like normal today so I dont believe she's in pain. And her bumblefoot is healing very well. Any suggestions or comments about her behavior today? Please respond. Thank you!

What is she on for meds? Assuming an antibiotic and maybe an anti-inflammatory? Some of my chickens get kind of dumpy when they're on certain meds.

Depending on the severity of your hen's bumblefoot and how well she's healing, it might be okay to put out for a couple hours in the afternoon each day. Unless the weather is crummy. It might help with reintroducing her to the flock.

What is she on for meds? Assuming an antibiotic and maybe an anti-inflammatory? Some of my chickens get kind of dumpy when they're on certain meds.

Depending on the severity of your hen's bumblefoot and how well she's healing, it might be okay to put out for a couple hours in the afternoon each day. Unless the weather is crummy. It might help with reintroducing her to the flock.
Yep, shes on two forms of antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory.
The weather here is excellent actually, maybe I can try that.

UPDATE: she started eating again. She ate a bnch of her regular pellets and blueberries and apples and kale. So I think she must be feeling better.

I'm glad to hear she's feeling good enough to eat. If you do put her outside, do try to supervise to make sure the other chickens do not pick at her bandages or get after her too bad. Depending on your setup, you can do a crate like Aart suggested or you could section off a part of their run. I don't have predators to worry about so I keep the flock in their run and let the injured chicken hang out on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom