Hen aggressive after brooding

csb146

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2022
So, I have 15 hens that all get along great. 2 of my Hens recently went broody so I put them in “chicken jail” for 4-5 days. (They go broody often and this isn’t the first time at all), but this time when I let them out both of them have been attacking one of the other hens. To the point that the picked on hen hinds inside the coop for a lot of the day. I’m not sure if the pecking order changed in 4 days and this is just some resorting. Does anyone have advice or experienced this before?

So, I have 15 hens that all get along great. 2 of my Hens recently went broody so I put them in “chicken jail” for 4-5 days. (They go broody often and this isn’t the first time at all), but this time when I let them out both of them have been attacking one of the other hens. To the point that the picked on hen hinds inside the coop for a lot of the day. I’m not sure if the pecking order changed in 4 days and this is just some resorting. Does anyone have advice or experienced this before?
I do chicken jail too. Right now, have two in it. Mine also (silkies) take 3-4 days. I let them out though at night to sleep in the main coop, then when I open the coop up in the morning, whoever doesn't get out, I haul back to the dog kennel. I haven't had issues with the pecking order getting changed, or not that I've noticed, but it could be because they are with each other at night and in the morning.

I am currently reading a book on hen behaviour and it suggests this sort of behaviour is driven by frustration and/or boredom, of which the first fits your circumstances. You want to try to nip it in the bud, as the book also says it is a behaviour that can be learned by others.

Back
Top Bottom