HEN ALMOST DROWNED PLEASE HELP?!?!?

scootaloochick

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
Rounding up chickens then found my dog watching one of my hens in a bucket full of water (we had broken the feeder and have not got a new one yet so we had a home depot bucket out there) soaked and limp. I shooed the dog away and she coughed up quite a bit of water, then closed her eyes and maybe went to sleep? I've put her up in one of the nesting boxes (still limp) and she opened her eyes and looked around before maybe going back to sleep again
Is there anything I can do to help her? :((

Give her heat and dry her off. Take her inside and feed her(with a turkey baster for water). She is fragile, SO BE CAREFUUL!!!!!

I had a turkey that fell into our pool, dont ask me how she got up in there. She was still breathing but going under and then coming up. The only thing i knew to do is tip her upside down see if any water will come out of her. Then what i did was wrap her up in a towel and i blow dried her until she was pretty dry by that time she seemed pretty purky. I hope your girl makes it!

Rounding up chickens then found my dog watching one of my hens in a bucket full of water (we had broken the feeder and have not got a new one yet so we had a home depot bucket out there) soaked and limp. I shooed the dog away and she coughed up quite a bit of water, then closed her eyes and maybe went to sleep? I've put her up in one of the nesting boxes (still limp) and she opened her eyes and looked around before maybe going back to sleep again
Is there anything I can do to help her? :((
Take her inside, dry her off, and get her warm. Chickens can quickly chill or overheat when they are wet because wet feathers lack insulation. Any water left in her lungs might cause problems, but for now, I'd just make sure that she is warm, eating/drinking, and given enough time to rest.

How sad. I'm not sure what you can do other than keep her warm and quiet. Chickens have lungs and then air sacs all over the body. When water enters the lungs there may be infection later. Usually chickens drown and that's it. I did pull one of my few-day-old chicks out of a pan of water that it got into, and it lived and did well. But it was not limp or unconscious. If it recovers tonight I might try to get some penicillin, amoxicillin, or keflex in case of lung infection. I hope it makes it.

Today one of my turkeys were left unattended and they fell in the duck pond, luckily my dad pulled up from the driveway and saw what happened. We didn't know what to do, so my dad flipped it over and it threw up water. We left them by heat and he started to move again and he stopped wheezing. We think he is gonna make and he seems well and like a baby again. He is about four weeks old.

Ok..I just found one of my Brahma in the duck pond..her head was up out of water, she was kind of holding on to the water hose that was left in the pond. Her head was going from one side to the other. Eyes open and blinking, she is doing this hickup thing…her legs are stiff. She seems to want to go to sleep, should I let her sleep or keep her awake? I put her in the warm coup. She is soaked through and through.

Ok..I just found one of my Brahma in the duck pond..her head was up out of water, she was kind of holding on to the water hose that was left in the pond. Her head was going from one side to the other. Eyes open and blinking, she is doing this hickup thing…her legs are stiff. She seems to want to go to sleep, should I let her sleep or keep her awake? I put her in the warm coup. She is soaked through and through.
This thread is 2 yrs old. You might get more help if you started a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom