hen and rooster???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by artsyrobin, Mar 22, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Here are current pictures of my Australorps, 3-4 weeks old... i was comparing them today and am i right i have a hen and rooster??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they are both very sweet and love to be held....

2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Yep, I'd say 1 roo an' 1 hen.

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Yup! I love Australorps in that ugly duckling stage... [​IMG]

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    ok, now my next question...LOL! what is the personality of the Australorp Roosters? i am new to chicken keeping and have heard horror stories about roosters...[​IMG]

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Yep. Thats definately a hen and a roo.

I wish i could help about the roo temperment deal, but I can't. I do have a girl though - she is a good, sweet girl. You're sure to love her!

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    all of my chickens get lots of attention, and for the most part love to sit in my lap- haven't finished the coop yet, so they are in the spare bedroom, moved them this morning, they outgrew the bathroom- still have the banties in the tub there... i am forcing myself to stop buying chicks...LOL!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they were so cute tonite- all lined up together...with the roo in the middle

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2009
  7. Waveron

Waveron Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Idaho
    I don't know if this goes with the personality of the breed as a whole, but my Australorp roo is mean!!! He will try to attack me through the fence if that were possible. I had to set up a chicken flap that I can controll from the outside of the pen so I could keep him out of the chicken coop while I collect eggs so I don't get attacked!!![​IMG] However, my hen is a sweety and a great sitter and mom! [​IMG] Hope that helps.

8. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Waveron, sounds like you got a rogue BA!!!! Typically the roos are docile and sweet. Of course, they are still roos, so there is always the possibility of aggressive behavior, but that's not often the case with BA's.

Byrdluv, your chicks are adorable. You have a nice assortment!

9. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    One hen and one roo! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by