hen and rooster???

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
Here are current pictures of my Australorps, 3-4 weeks old... i was comparing them today and am i right i have a hen and rooster??

P1030220.jpg

P1030222.jpg

P1030223.jpg

P1030226.jpg

P1030227.jpg

P1030228.jpg

they are both very sweet and love to be held....

ok, now my next question...LOL! what is the personality of the Australorp Roosters? i am new to chicken keeping and have heard horror stories about roosters...
smile.png

Yep. Thats definately a hen and a roo.

I wish i could help about the roo temperment deal, but I can't. I do have a girl though - she is a good, sweet girl. You're sure to love her!

all of my chickens get lots of attention, and for the most part love to sit in my lap- haven't finished the coop yet, so they are in the spare bedroom, moved them this morning, they outgrew the bathroom- still have the banties in the tub there... i am forcing myself to stop buying chicks...LOL!

P1030229.jpg

P1030234.jpg

P1030236.jpg

they were so cute tonite- all lined up together...with the roo in the middle

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this goes with the personality of the breed as a whole, but my Australorp roo is mean!!! He will try to attack me through the fence if that were possible. I had to set up a chicken flap that I can controll from the outside of the pen so I could keep him out of the chicken coop while I collect eggs so I don't get attacked!!!
hide.gif
However, my hen is a sweety and a great sitter and mom!
love.gif
Hope that helps.

Waveron, sounds like you got a rogue BA!!!! Typically the roos are docile and sweet. Of course, they are still roos, so there is always the possibility of aggressive behavior, but that's not often the case with BA's.

Byrdluv, your chicks are adorable. You have a nice assortment!

Back
Top Bottom